'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Platter Flats, OK

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-19 10:35 AM
6 replies, 6329 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-07 11:33 AM (#44202)
Subject: Platter Flats, OK

Extreme Veteran

I spend the July 4th weekend at Platter Flater, OK on Lake Texhoma. They have great horse camping sites there with shade, water, electricity, & picnic table for $15 a night. They also have nice public restrooms with showers. There is a boat ramp in the camping area, so you can bring your horse & boat! The trail is linear, with loops and lots of variety in terrain. Good access to the lake for watering your horse on the trail, a deep water crossing if you like, or you can go around. The trail is mostly in the trees, so it was very pleasant ride. The ground ranges from sandy to rocky. The Lake Manager is working with Trinity Trails club members to put up holding pens in the camping area. Apparently this park is under utilized and Park Manager is trying to encourage trail rider to come and enjoy the park and trails so the park can stay open. I was told by other folks that go there often that it is usually just them and one or two other campers most weekends. It was crowded Saturday night,(holiday weekend) but we had the place pretty much to ourselves Sunday and Monday. I really enjoyed it and will definitely be going back.

-Betty
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-07-07 5:10 PM (#44233 - in reply to #44202)
Subject: RE: Platter Flats, OK

Extreme Veteran

Where on Lake Texoma is that? Looked on my map but couldn't find it. Sounds interesting. Where can I find out more about it?
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-08 11:42 AM (#44266 - in reply to #44202)

Extreme Veteran

Here's a link to reserve a site, and also has information on the camp site.

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/ok/plat/new...

If you have problems following this link, just start at www.reserveuse.com

Sites A1 to A23 are the horse sites. The directions on this site are not very good. If you want to go, let me know and I'll send you better directions.

-Betty
okiedar
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-09 10:13 PM (#44314 - in reply to #44202)

BJ...Thand you for the nice review on Platter Flats. I have never been there but I guess I need to go try it out. One of my riding buddie father-in-law is the camp host there, I believe.

How many miles of trail do you think they have. Do you have to go out and come back on the same trail?

I usually ride around central Ok or else SE OK.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-10 2:57 PM (#44368 - in reply to #44314)

Extreme Veteran

Hi okiedar,

We rode out about 6 miles to Rocky Creek, but it appeared like the trail went beyond the Creek. But I didn't ask. It is a linear trail, so you come back the way you go out, but there are several loop & side trails to the lake, so you can vary the way you come & go some.

-Betty
byrdt
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-19 9:34 AM (#45034 - in reply to #44202)

New User

I didn't know that Platter Flats had horse trails. Can you tell me more about it? Plus, I have a column "Trail Savers" in the Trail Blazers magazine and anytime someone has updates about equestrian trails, they can be sent to me and if they meet the magazine's criteria, I can submit them in the column. This is a great way to let others know about equestrian trails throughout the U.S. I'll have to send out an e-mail to my trail riding gals friends in Oklahoma and ask them if they have been to Platter Flats. I believe it is about a 2 hour drive from my home.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-19 10:35 AM (#45043 - in reply to #45034)

Extreme Veteran

I've been meaning to post directions to Platter Flats. Here they are:

North on I75 from Dallas area to Denison and take exit 72 to State Hwy 91 North. Turn Left. Cross teh Lake Texoma dam. On the Oklahoma side Hwy 91 curves to the right, but you should stay to the left of the "Welcome to Oklahoma" sign and you will be on Wendy's Drive. Wendy's Drive will dead-end at Boat Club Drive, Turn left then turn right on Wilfa Woods Road. Go approximately 2 miles, turn right on Vernon Rd. Go approximately 1 mile and turn left on Sand Creek Road. Follow curve to the right by Featherstone gate (Platter Dike Rd to Platter Rd) Turn left on Platter Flats Rd and follow Platter Flats sign. Turn left on Trail Ride Rd. (I didn't actually see the road sign) The park entrance is at the end of the road. You think you are totally lost going out there, but stick with it and you will get there.

The park sign does say for day overnight use only. While I was there, I did see folks there that were only there for the day, so I think that if you pay a fee you can go in for the day. After you turn on to Trail Ride Rd, a little bit down the road, there is a gate on the right hand side of the road, with an entrance to the trail and limited parking, so if you wanted to avoid the fee, you could park & ride from that point.

To get more general park info & reserve a site : www.reserveusa.com

-Betty

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World