'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anyone ridden these trails in the Black Hills?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-09 3:58 PM
2 replies, 3265 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-07-08 7:22 AM (#44256)
Subject: Anyone ridden these trails in the Black Hills?

Veteran

We're leaving for the Black Hills in about 2 weeks and will be staying near Nemo, SD. I have heard that the Deerfield trail 40 from Mystic to Silver City is really pretty but just wondered if anyone could tell me more about the trail. Also was thinking about riding in Spearfish Canyon on maybe Rimrock, Old Baldy or Little Spearfish trails. How tough are they, how's the parking at trail heads, is there water along the trail?  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
paintpaddy
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-07-09 1:53 PM (#44286 - in reply to #44256)
Subject: RE: Anyone ridden these trails in the Black Hills?

Just returned last night from a 10 day swing to the Black Hills and back. Didn't ride the portion of trail 40 you refer to, but did ride the part they call 40L. It is the loop around Deerfield Lake and it's a great treat for diversity. Pine woods, ridges, and cutbacks on the east side and open prairie, hills, draws on the west. Ends up being 15 - 20 miles depending on how you attack it, but is not boring.We stayed at Deerfield Lake Resort this year. Richard and Cheryl are wonderful hosts. We rode up Hat Mountain, rode into the Sand Mines, repeated several short but scenic rides, did the loop I referred to above. Had a great time.Not familiar with the Nemo area. We stayed at Castle Creek last year just south of Rochford but that's not available for public camping anymore. The other night we did drive up to Nemo to see what Doug and Jodi Lindgren's new horse camp facility looks like and we became interested in Nemo country, might try it next year. Would be good to hear how you trip goes up there.
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-07-09 3:58 PM (#44290 - in reply to #44256)
Subject: RE: Anyone ridden these trails in the Black Hills?

Veteran

Thanks for the info. We are going to be staying at Doug's place. Hope it is nice. The pictures looked like it would be. Anyways we'll ride alot there but thought we might trailer to those other trails. That trail from Mystic is supposed to follow Slate and Rapid Creek and go by alot of abandoned cabins, mines, etc from what I read and it crosses the water alot so if it's hot thought it would be nice and ends up by Pactola lake I think. There's so many places to ride out in the hills. We've been to Elk Haven and TC Horse camp before and they were nice and had plenty of riding but just want to go somewhere new each year. I'll give a trip report when I get  back and try to post some pictures.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)