'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trinity Trails on Lake Lavon, TX

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-21 4:45 PM
4 replies, 3879 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-19 11:02 AM (#45044)
Subject: Trinity Trails on Lake Lavon, TX

Extreme Veteran

I thought that this trail might not be widely known. There is a great trail on Lake Lavon, (Lucas, Wylie area) It is on Collin County Corp land and is maintained by the non-profit Trinty Trail Preservation Assocication (TTPA) www.trinitytrailriders.org It is a 9 miles, end to end linear trail, which runs near the lake, and through some trees, but is mostly in open space. There are two trail heads, one at Brockdale Park & one at the Eastfork Trailhead. There is water at both trailheads for the horses. The lake is very low, so it is not safe to water your horses in the lake right now, but during normal conditions, it is. There is a public restroom near the Brockdale Trailhead. (see web site for directions) There are picnic tables along the trail for breaks, and a cover picinc table at the mid-point (no horse water) & at the trail heads. TTPA is working with the Corp to add pull through camping sites near the Eastfork Trailhead, I think it will be done late '07. Also TTPA is going to be able to extend the trail north from Brockdale along Lake Lavon that will add another 7 miles or so. I think this could be done by mid-'07 and TTPA is making plans to expand the trail further north & east. TTPA has done a great job of improving and maintaining this trail. I'm only about a 8 minute haul from the Brockdale Trailhead so I'd be happy to meet folks there to ride. I didn't even know it was there when we moved to the area 10 years ago.

-Betty
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-07-20 7:30 PM (#45156 - in reply to #45044)
Subject: RE: Trinity Trails on Lake Lavon, TX

Extreme Veteran

Hi ya Betty,

I ride it every so often for my endurance training, but only when the oven is turned off, if you know what I mean...LOL. Usually start at the East Fork trailhead. Been riding there for a few years. Hardly ever see anybody there.

Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-21 12:00 PM (#45191 - in reply to #45044)

Veteran

I have been going there for at least 10 years.  Use to go fairly often but have not been in over a year since we opened the trails at Bardwell Lake in Ennis.  They are a little closer to me than Lake Lavon.  I have to go through Rockwall and Wylie to get there and traffic through both these cities has really gotten bad the past couple of years.  Will like to go back once the new trails are open.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-07-21 1:31 PM (#45196 - in reply to #45191)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Texas Butch,

I have not heard of the Bardwell trails. Can you tell us about them and give directions?

They have vastly inproved hwy 78 coming from hwy 205 to the turn off in Wylie. It is now mostly a 4 lane Blvd. You can by-pass Rockwall by taking 549 just south of I-20. Just follow it north until it T-s and take a left, and you'll be back on 205 north of Rockwall. Cut's 10 minutes or more off the trip, adds about 2 miles distance wise. I go this way every time I go to Terrel.

-Betty
Texas Butch
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-21 4:45 PM (#45214 - in reply to #45044)

Veteran

Thanks for the tip for bypassing Rockwall.  I will try it next time I go out that way. 

Bardwell Lake is located about 3-4 miles west of Ennis on Hwy 34.  After you cross the lake look for the brown sign Waxahachie Creek Park.  The road is just on the other side of a house.  We have been making trails there the past couple of years.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)