'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Exiss Trailer
[Frozen]

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-08 8:04 AM
175 replies, 26647 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh Frozen
Message format

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-03-30 5:00 AM (#58044)
Subject: Exiss Trailer

Elite Veteran

Has anyone read or heard about this? http://www.hdcappaloosas.com/exiss.html
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 6:59 AM (#58046 - in reply to #58044)
Subject: RE: Exiss Trailer

Veteran

If that's real,it's unimaginable that a roof would give way so easily. 
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-30 7:03 AM (#58047 - in reply to #58044)

Expert

I don't own an Exiss so I really have no dog in this fight, So with that being said, look at the piece that is flapping it is dented pretty good, it can't get dented now because no support to allow a dent. So the dent came from something(horse head) hitting it. The claim says the horse just kind of popped up to look around. I say he reared up pretty hard to cause that dent. Still shouldn't have torn, but not quite like the claim.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-30 7:08 AM (#58049 - in reply to #58046)

Expert

It looks real.  A combination of unfortunate events.

The horse rears, his head hits at the edge of the vent opening.  Like a chip bag with a nick, the aluminum tears at the vent. 

I wouldn't blame the trailer.  Aluminum is light, but its tensile strength is less than steel's.  The broom handle comment is uncalled for.

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-03-30 7:24 AM (#58050 - in reply to #58049)

Elite Veteran

I agee with you on that. Besides aren't the vents in the middle of the trailer? Mine are...How did a horse just pop his head over the divider and hit the vent?
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-03-30 7:59 AM (#58052 - in reply to #58044)

Elite Veteran

Shouldn't have happened, but every mfgr. I know of uses the same exact roof- a skin of .040". Sundowner, Exiss, Sooner, Platinum, Silverlite, & more. So maybe if your going to crucify, it should be everyone that uses the same roof. Like Hosspuller said, it can happen.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-30 8:30 AM (#58054 - in reply to #58044)

Expert

We are getting one side of the story. Heck, we don't even know if the story is true- urban legends abound online. Call me a cynic but this story doesn't make sense........
Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 8:46 AM (#58055 - in reply to #58044)

Regular

What horsey1 said - every trailer manufacturer uses the same roof. (.040 aluminum skin) If this is a problem why haven't we heard it before?

I agree that we're only getting one side of the story.

halfpass
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-30 9:33 AM (#58059 - in reply to #58044)

A lot of them don't use the same roof...Silver Star, 4 Star, high end Merhow, a lot of them have thick insulation between your horse and the roof. Maybe the same mil thickness, but at least some of the companies will insulate to give you a lot more forgiveness if a horse pops up.
Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 11:03 AM (#58067 - in reply to #58044)

I'm a cynic too. I just bought a 06 Event model 3 horse slant with living quarters. I had a roof issue and had been up WALKING around on it. From edges to the center looking for a leak. Although now that it's fixed i have no reason to go up there (thank you so much 'the trailer mart' in Bakersfield, I'll be a customer for life!) I felt comfortable and never felt as i would fall through.

I think this is just a unfortunate event. Plus, as someone mentioned the vents are in the middle, when the front of my horse's head which is in the front pops his head up... His head remains on the front of his body and on the side of my trailer where I tied him.

If he hops/jumps/rears/ throws a fit without being tied (which would be MY fault for not tying him) I could see a very big fit doing that jumping up numerous times. I mean, something's gotta give.

Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 11:05 AM (#58068 - in reply to #58044)

I realize I sound somewhat heartless so to the person that actually had the misfortune of this happening to I'm sorry it did. that had be a scarey circumstance that I would wish on noone. I'm glad that your horse came out of it alright.

And me being on the top of my trailer - I'm 300 Lbs. So I tested it

hdcapps
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 11:23 AM (#58070 - in reply to #58044)

That's my website that is being referenced and my horse that did it.  That trailer is sitting here in my yard.  It most certainly is true....every word.  Going public with this was an absolute last resort - I have given Exiss every opportunity to stand behind this trailer that is less than one year old.  The horse being hauled is a seasoned hauler and I stood right there watching it happen.  Someone said the broom handle comment is uncalled for - ahhhh perhaps if it was untrue but I can assure you, that is no exaggeration.  I have lost count of the number of people who have examined this trailer in person and EVERY ONE of them has agreed - a Pepsi can would be about as safe.  I see some speculation on here about the placement of the vents and where a horse's head would hit when it pops up - Ummmm....when a horse goes up, they go back as well, hence the point of contact with the roof - it is how the horse is built.  He was tied, the divider was closed, he is a laid back animal.  NO HORSE IS SAFE IN A TRAILER BUILT LIKE THIS......PERIOD. 
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-03-30 11:25 AM (#58072 - in reply to #58044)

Elite Veteran

I was getting on to the chat forum this morning to post the link to this Exiss trailer incident and see somebody beat me to it.   As for whether the how and why are true, I don't care how hard a horse rears up, I don't want to worry about it putting its head through the roof.   While I am not trailer shopping, it would certainly concern me to hear this story if I was looking at an Exiss Sport trailer.   A search of threads on this site discussing Exiss Sport model trailers will show others have had concerns with the thinkness of the sheet metal. 

Edited by headhunter 2007-03-30 11:29 AM
hdcapps
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 11:36 AM (#58074 - in reply to #58044)

Since I'm the one who started all this, I'll play devil's advocate as it is pretty apparent that there are folks who think this horse must have really blown up.  If you know me and know the horse, or you were the person I was talking to when this incident happened, you know every word of this story is true.  I'm not suing Exiss - my horse ended up with a minute scrape out of this.  But, I will make absolutely sure that I tell everyone who may ever haul in one of these to check it over top to bottom.

But, for argument's sake, lets just say your horse does pitch a holy fit and hits the roof - do you think that should immediately create a skylight???  I've hauled hundreds of horses over thousands of miles over the years in a variety of horse trailers.  Some of those horses certainly behaved badly.  Never had one put a hole in a trailer before!  How would this trailer hold up in an accident?  If you haul horses, do you consider the roof to be a stress point?  (FYI Exiss does not - feel free to call their warranty department and ask.  Then ask if any damage done by a horse would be covered....the answer is no)

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-30 11:52 AM (#58078 - in reply to #58074)

Expert

Originally written by hdcapps on 2007-03-30 11:36 AM

But, for argument's sake, lets just say your horse does pitch a holy fit and hits the roof - do you think that should immediately create a skylight???  

How would this trailer hold up in an accident? 

1. I think he hit it right where he needed to to do the damage that he did, see above about the potato chip bag with a nick in it.

2. I have seen a few trailers that have been in accidents, none of them fared very well.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-30 12:01 PM (#58080 - in reply to #58070)

Expert

Originally written by hdcapps on 2007-03-30 10:23 AM

That's my website that is being referenced and my horse that did it.  That trailer is sitting here in my yard.  It most certainly is true....every word.  Going public with this was an absolute last resort - I have given Exiss every opportunity to stand behind this trailer that is less than one year old.  The horse being hauled is a seasoned hauler and I stood right there watching it happen.  Someone said the broom handle comment is uncalled for - ahhhh perhaps if it was untrue but I can assure you, that is no exaggeration.  I have lost count of the number of people who have examined this trailer in person and EVERY ONE of them has agreed - a Pepsi can would be about as safe.  I see some speculation on here about the placement of the vents and where a horse's head would hit when it pops up - Ummmm....when a horse goes up, they go back as well, hence the point of contact with the roof - it is how the horse is built.  He was tied, the divider was closed, he is a laid back animal.  NO HORSE IS SAFE IN A TRAILER BUILT LIKE THIS......PERIOD. 

Bridget: Welcome to the forum ... 

A  point of discussion: Would you feel the same if your horse had kicked the sides or doors of the trailer?  Is the stall of poor quality if the horse chews the boards like a beaver?  Is the fence poor quality if the horse is chased through it by the other horses?

In twenty years of horses, I've learned that horses can do amazing things to hurt themselves.   No one can or wants to build anything, much less purchase... trailer, barn or pasture, resistant ... No ... horse "Proof" to the destructive capabilities of every horse. 

It is unfortunate your trailer is damaged.  Be glad your horse was unhurt.  It could have been much worse.  I've had to extricate a dead horse from a trailer.  I don't believe Exiss is responsible for repair of your trailer any more than the rope maker is responsible for the busted halters I own.  The horse acted in an unusual manner.  If your horse is a rearing fool, it is your responsibility to respond to him with training, head bumper, reinforced roof, etc.   Not everybody wants an armored trailer roof.

Your postings "Going Public" is an act of extortion toward Exiss in my opinion.

(disclaimer:  I have no connection to Exiss.  I do have another brand trailer with a similar bare aluminum roof)

hdcapps
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 12:08 PM (#58081 - in reply to #58044)

You are right about how trailers hold up in an accident. I guess that if I was in an accident with a trailer, I would prefer it be in a trailer that doesn't rip open "like a potato chip bag" as this one did. The roof is paper thin. Where the horse made contact with it isn't the point - the vent is not reinforced - the entire roof is flimsy.
Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 12:11 PM (#58082 - in reply to #58070)

Originally written by hdcapps on 2007-03-30 9:23 AM
I see some speculation on here about the placement of the vents and where a horse's head would hit when it pops up - Ummmm....when a horse goes up, they go back as well, hence the point of contact with the roof - it is how the horse is built.

Well with all due respect; we went from him peeking his head over the divider to see what's going on to how a horse is built when they are rearing. I was under the impression the horse was as stated peeking his head over the divider. Now that I see he went up; obviously the placement would be right where he hit.

Maybe i just tie my horse too tight but, I don't think the top of my horse's head could even hit the trailer roof the way he is tied. Please someone w/ experience if i am doing it wrong to let me know.

Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 12:13 PM (#58083 - in reply to #58044)

Either way I'm sorry about your misfortune and thank the lord that it wasn't as bad as it should be (sharp aluminum and a blunt fleshy object through it...)
Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 12:19 PM (#58084 - in reply to #58059)

Regular

Originally written by halfpass on 2007-03-30 9:33 AM

A lot of them don't use the same roof...Silver Star, 4 Star, high end Merhow, a lot of them have thick insulation between your horse and the roof. Maybe the same mil thickness, but at least some of the companies will insulate to give you a lot more forgiveness if a horse pops up.

That all depends on the model. Most trailers have a standard uninsulated roof... and a lot of them seem to have a model/option of an insulated roof. There are far more trailers that are uninsulated out there.

hdcapps
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 12:22 PM (#58085 - in reply to #58080)

Bridget: Welcome to the forum ... 

A  point of discussion: Would you feel the same if your horse had kicked the sides or doors of the trailer?  Is the stall of poor quality if the horse chews the boards like a beaver?  Is the fence poor quality if the horse is chased through it by the other horses?

In twenty years of horses, I've learned that horses can do amazing things to hurt themselves.   No one can or wants to build anything, much less purchase... trailer, barn or pasture, resistant ... No ... horse "Proof" to the destructive capabilities of every horse. 

It is unfortunate your trailer is damaged.  Be glad your horse was unhurt.  It could have been much worse.  I've had to extricate a dead horse from a trailer.  I don't believe Exiss is responsible for repair of your trailer any more than the rope maker is responsible for the busted halters I own.  The horse acted in an unusual manner.  If your horse is a rearing fool, it is your responsibility to respond to him with training, head bumper, reinforced roof, etc.   Not everybody wants an armored trailer roof.

Your postings "Going Public" is an act of extortion toward Exiss in my opinion.

(disclaimer:  I have no connection to Exiss.  I do have another brand trailer with a similar bare aluminum roof)

(I'm new on this forum so if I didn't do the quote thing right, I apologize!)  First, thank you for the welcome (sorry, I don't know your name!)

Those are fair questions.  I would be mortified if my horse was able to kick clear through a wall or door of the trailer.  Having said that, the force at the end of a kick is quite substantial and I don't believe would be nearly as shocking to me as the ability of a horse to put his poll through the roof, while tied (quick release knot), in a slant load with mere inches for wiggle room on either side.  Horses can inflict some incredible damage.  I own a breeding farm and average 20-30 head so I am well aware of what they can do.  If he was loose, raising h%ll and had some serious momentum going, well yes, I would expect him to do some damage.   While you don't know me, or my horse, rest assured he is not a "rearing fool"  That would require far more effort than he is willing to exert on any given day.  He has hauled countless times without incident and my horses have manners.  I would not count a horse popping up in a horse trailer as acting in an "unusual manner" - it is quite common. 

I stand to gain nothing from Exiss so extortion it is not.  The facts are the trailer is an Exiss Sport, there is a hole in the roof put there by a horse's head, and Exiss will not warranty it.  I have put the facts out there and folks can interpret as they wish.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-30 12:26 PM (#58088 - in reply to #58081)

Expert

Originally written by hdcapps on 2007-03-30 12:08 PM

Where the horse made contact with it isn't the point - the vent is not reinforced - the entire roof is flimsy.

This is the part you are not getting, where the horse made contact with the roof is exactly the point. Had the horse made contact in a part of the roof that was just smooth, all you would have had is a dent. The horses head made contact with either the vent, or it looks like right beside the vent. The roof already has a hole there, is was cut in it to put the vent in. It was already comprimised, that's why it ripped. JEEEZ!!!

hdcapps
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 12:28 PM (#58089 - in reply to #58083)

Thank you (Jason?)  Yes, it could have been much worse and I am incredibly thankful for that.  Oh, and for the record, I have used the term "popped up" (not peeking over the divider) when referencing this as that is what he did.  He's a big boy - 15.3 so head clearance is not an issue but he is WIDE. 
Paint Guy
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-03-30 12:30 PM (#58090 - in reply to #58052)

New User

Horsey1

I would like to correct you. Most of the trailer manufacturers do use .040 material in their roof's. However, Exiss and now Sooner use a slightly thinner .032 in their roof's and they have since the Event model debuted in 2000. And not to take a side, there have really never been any issues arise from this until now.

I sure would be scared to walk on that roof, though.

Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 12:34 PM (#58091 - in reply to #58089)

Originally written by hdcapps on 2007-03-30 10:28 AM

Thank you (Jason?)  Yes, it could have been much worse and I am incredibly thankful for that.  Oh, and for the record, I have used the term "popped up" (not peeking over the divider) when referencing this as that is what he did.  He's a big boy - 15.3 so head clearance is not an issue but he is WIDE. 

Well then that was my play on words; sorry about that! I know what you mean as 'wide' and 'halter' bred horse; the horse I just bought's dad is that quarter horse  'Smooth Town'. Wanna talk about a stall hog... LOL

Edited by Jasondt2001 2007-03-30 12:35 PM
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World