'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Exiss Trailer
[Frozen]

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-08 8:04 AM
175 replies, 26639 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh Frozen
Message format

Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 12:37 PM (#58093 - in reply to #58090)
Subject: RE: Exiss Trailer

Originally written by Paint Guy on 2007-03-30 10:30 AM

I sure would be scared to walk on that roof, though.

I'm affraid of heights so I did tread lightly; that and weighing 300 lbs I was wondering if I was going to the hospital over a 'movie stunt' like performance of falling through... LOL Although I have to say; it did hold me, I could tell when i walked between the metal joists but, at least in my trailer's instance there was no fatigue.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
halfpass
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-30 12:57 PM (#58097 - in reply to #58084)

It is standard on Sidekick, 4 Star does not make an uninsulated roof (unless it is a stock type I don't know about), Shadow now insulates all but the Stablemate models, Merhow Verylite is insulated, and a bunch more. Trail-et and Hawk are fiberglas and much stronger (and cooler) than the bare aluminum. I doubt any of the high end fancier builders have bare aluminum either. It is a way to make the trailer CHEAPER to leave it "naked" and apparently even cheaper still if you make the aluminum thinner. Shame, shame. I would be steamed too.
hdcapps
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 1:04 PM (#58098 - in reply to #58044)

If nothing else comes of this, I hope that it is an education for all.  It has been for me.  I guess I like my old steel trailer quite a bit more now!  lol  If we are all more aware of how our trailers are made we become better educated horse owners.  And that is what helps to keep our horses safe.  Regardless of what some believe my motives to be, it is really just that simple.  I do want to say that I have received countless private emails and 4 Star customers in general seem very, very pleased with their trailers and their service.  That is such a good thing to hear. 
Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 1:11 PM (#58099 - in reply to #58044)

Oh it is a learning experience, I really was shocked! I'm thinking of going and getting some metal sheets, cutting the about 1'x1' and cutting holes in the middle then riveting them to the top side of the trailer to reinforce the vent areas.

Jasondt2001
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 2:02 PM (#58101 - in reply to #58044)

I must apologize to you; I was incorrect on something. I said that being properly tied the horse wouldn't be able to hit the ceiling in my trailer.
I was wrong. After thinking back I'm 6'4 and tying them i have to stretch to reach the tie. It's pretty far up there. If they had 1' of lead and were properly tied they could in fact hit the ceiling.

There's someone on this forum named Mr.Truck and as a last resort maybe you could PM him or he could even chime in on this post. I beleive that he is part of Universal Trailer and has helped some others out on here.

Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 2:03 PM (#58102 - in reply to #58090)

Regular

Originally written by Paint Guy on 2007-03-30 12:30 PM

Horsey1

However, Exiss and now Sooner use a slightly thinner .032 in their roof's and they have since the Event model debuted in 2000.

Interesting information... I was not aware of this.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-30 2:08 PM (#58103 - in reply to #58085)

Expert

Originally written by hdcapps on 2007-03-30 11:22 AM

(I'm new on this forum so if I didn't do the quote thing right, I apologize!)  First, thank you for the welcome (sorry, I don't know your name!)

Those are fair questions.  I would be mortified if my horse was able to kick clear through a wall or door of the trailer.  Having said that, the force at the end of a kick is quite substantial and I don't believe would be nearly as shocking to me as the ability of a horse to put his poll through the roof, while tied (quick release knot), in a slant load with mere inches for wiggle room on either side.  Horses can inflict some incredible damage.  I own a breeding farm and average 20-30 head so I am well aware of what they can do.  If he was loose, raising h%ll and had some serious momentum going, well yes, I would expect him to do some damage.   While you don't know me, or my horse, rest assured he is not a "rearing fool"  That would require far more effort than he is willing to exert on any given day.  He has hauled countless times without incident and my horses have manners.  I would not count a horse popping up in a horse trailer as acting in an "unusual manner" - it is quite common. 

I stand to gain nothing from Exiss so extortion it is not.  The facts are the trailer is an Exiss Sport, there is a hole in the roof put there by a horse's head, and Exiss will not warranty it.  I have put the facts out there and folks can interpret as they wish.

Bridget:  If you click on the quote button you'll get a message box.  If you type your message after the last bracketed quote it'll show up like this.

Originally written by hdcapps on 2007-03-30 11:22 AM

Going public with this was an absolute last resort - I have given Exiss every opportunity to stand behind this trailer that is less than one year old. 

When you wrote that... It sounded like you've asked Exiss to repair the damage.  Exiss refused saying it was "horse abuse"  lol ... and now you're "Going Public"

That sounded very much like what other people have tried to use this forum for.  To publicly bash a trailer builder into submission.  I call that extortion.  If I mis- read your post, I apologize.

HWbar's posting on the vent reinforces my opinion on the proximate cause of the severe roof damage.

Stephen,  "the hosspuller for the camping trips"

hdcapps
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 2:10 PM (#58105 - in reply to #58101)

Yeah, I'm only 5'1" so guess how much fun I have tying those off!  lol 
hdcapps
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 2:19 PM (#58107 - in reply to #58103)

Hi Stephen

Ok - I'll have to get the hang of this quote thing (I fear you may have bitten off more than you can chew trying to explain it to me - I am computer illiterate!)  lol

Anyway, I do understand what you are saying and how this appears to you.  I did want Exiss to fix it, that is correct.  The repairs are covered under trailer insurance so I have that avenue and that's what we're doing.  But, I still firmly believe that the trailer is flawed and the problem was Exiss' to fix.  Such a thing should not happen.  Please remember, I did not post it to this forum - I stumbled on this forum today by  accident looking for trailer reviews.  I saw that the story had made its way here and responded.  I do not believe that a horse should be able to do this in any trailer, vent or no vent.  I don't think expecting a company to back a product and calling them on it publicly when they refuse is extortion.

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 2:30 PM (#58108 - in reply to #58044)

Extreme Veteran

Horses,  they are the biggest walking goofballs around. Looks to me like it's just part of having horses.  If you get in an accident with a trailer and it lands on the roof it's not going to hold up anyway.  How is the trailer manufacturer going to make a trailer horsey proof? No way to be done in my book. There would still be one horse that would manage a way to do something. No matter what brand trailer you have. Good thing your horse wasn't hurt.

I wouldn't expect Exiss to pay for my repair if my horse acted like a goofball and put it's head through the roof. The calmest horse in the world will sometimes act stupid.  That's just their nature. Posting it all over the internet I wouldn't do. I wouldn't want everyone to know my idiot horse reared in the trailer and put it's head through the roof.

Edited by Spooler 2007-03-30 2:37 PM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-30 2:39 PM (#58109 - in reply to #58107)

Expert

Originally written by hdcapps on 2007-03-30 1:19 PM

Anyway, I do understand what you are saying and how this appears to you.  I did want Exiss to fix it, that is correct.  The repairs are covered under trailer insurance so I have that avenue and that's what we're doing.  But, I still firmly believe that the trailer is flawed and the problem was Exiss' to fix.  Such a thing should not happen.  Please remember, I did not post it to this forum - I stumbled on this forum today by  accident looking for trailer reviews.  I saw that the story had made its way here and responded.  I do not believe that a horse should be able to do this in any trailer, vent or no vent.  I don't think expecting a company to back a product and calling them on it publicly when they refuse is extortion.

Bridget .. We'll just agree to disagree on Exiss' responsibility.  I'm glad you have insurance on your trailer.  I don't have any on my trailer so I am reluctant to haul horses other than mine for this very reason. 

On a related topic... I would ask that you keep us informed on how the roof is repaired.  I'd like to know what are the methods used.  A whole new roof or patch. If a patch, maybe some pics and a description of the repair.  Someone,  sometime is going to have a hole in their roof that needs a repair.  That would add greatly to this site's wealth of information and utility.  (and satisfy my curiosity)

Edited by hosspuller 2007-03-30 2:42 PM
hdcapps
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 2:52 PM (#58110 - in reply to #58109)

Will do.  I believe the entire roof will be replaced as it is one piece.  I will get photos when it is done.  I'm not quite sure if you could patch it but would be interested in seeing how that might be done as well, like you, out of curiousity.  Thank you for keeping this discussion adult - sometimes that is a challenge on these forums.  We can agree to disagree (I do it with my friends all the time)   I'll keep you posted.
hdcapps
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 2:55 PM (#58111 - in reply to #58108)

With all due respect, "my idiot horse" didn't do anything shocking or awful so I have no qualms whatsoever making it public that he was able to install a sunroof with his poll.  I have nothing to hide.  If you think its peachy for your horse to put his head through your trailer roof, that is certainly your prerogative.  I, however, do not.
Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 3:54 PM (#58116 - in reply to #58044)

Regular

Looking through the Exiss warranty, I don't see any mention of the actual sheet metal for the roof. Right or wrong, its no wonder they won't cover the damage. Even if we consider it as "not abuse" they have carefully worded their warranty to exclude it anyway.

Warranties come in two varieties... the kind where they spell out everything that is covered and they won't cover anything else or they will leave everything out and just say "its covered" (the "common sense " approach).

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-30 5:09 PM (#58118 - in reply to #58044)

Expert

I was just on the roof of my Exiss trailer last week fixing a problem with the antenna, I never felt like I was going to fall through the roof. Now I understand when stuff happens, we want to find someone to blame. But like has been said, horses do the darnest things that simply cannot be blamed on anything exception sh** happens. I would think that if this was a ongoing problem, we'd hear more horror stories of well behaved horses just popping their heads through a roof. You horse just happened to hit at the right spot, with the right amount of force. Why should Exiss pay for a accident unless you can prove there was a problem they knew about.If you sold a well behaved horse to someone who then got dumped from said horse and broke their leg- are you responsible?

Edited by farmbabe 2007-03-30 5:10 PM
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-03-30 6:21 PM (#58120 - in reply to #58118)

Elite Veteran

Just curious, of the Exiss owners on this thread, how many of you have the Exiss Sport model?  I have never been up close and personal with any Exiss trailer, but I have heard the Sport model specifically uses much thinner sheetmetal than the other models and other trailers. 
hdcapps
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 6:26 PM (#58121 - in reply to #58118)

Well, here's a thought.  Did it occur to those who are in favor of Exiss here that maybe you don't hear about this happening because maybe, just maybe, this particular trailer has a defect????  Is that a remote possibility????  Again, and I cannot say it enough, for those of you who think its perfectly acceptable for a horse to put its head through the roof of the trailer, hey its your choice.  I think more of my horses than that.
ridinhigh
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-03-30 6:52 PM (#58124 - in reply to #58120)

Originally written by headhunter on 2007-03-30 6:21 PM

Just curious, of the Exiss owners on this thread, how many of you have the Exiss Sport model?  I have never been up close and personal with any Exiss trailer, but I have heard the Sport model specifically uses much thinner sheetmetal than the other models and other trailers. 

I was wondering when somebody was going to mention that.  You get what you pay for. 

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-30 7:02 PM (#58125 - in reply to #58121)

Expert

Originally written by hdcapps on 2007-03-30 5:26 PM

Well, here's a thought.  Did it occur to those who are in favor of Exiss here that maybe you don't hear about this happening because maybe, just maybe, this particular trailer has a defect????  Is that a remote possibility????  Again, and I cannot say it enough, for those of you who think its perfectly acceptable for a horse to put its head through the roof of the trailer, hey its your choice.  I think more of my horses than that.

... I just looked at your pictures again.  Every place where the roof sheet is torn, starts at a rivet in the flange of the vent.  That would suggest, the weakness is the vent location.  Without the vent, I believe you would merely have a dented roof.  Like I said before: a series of unfortunate events.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-30 7:37 PM (#58126 - in reply to #58125)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2007-03-30 7:02 PM

Originally written by hdcapps on 2007-03-30 5:26 PM

... I just looked at your pictures again.  Every place where the roof sheet is torn, starts at a rivet in the flange of the vent.  That would suggest, the weakness is the vent location.  Without the vent, I believe you would merely have a dented roof.  Like I said before: a series of unfortunate events.

I said that 5 hours ago.

minebray
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 7:54 PM (#58130 - in reply to #58044)

I have and use an Exiss Sport, it has given me very good service on several cross country trips and many many local ones.  It seems to me that the amount of force needed to open that roof is more than a simple "just trying to look over the divider" bump.  I have dents in my roof very similar to the ones in those pictures and I could feel the trailer move as I was driving down the interstate to the point of pulling over and checking for a bad wheel.  Looking at the pictures there are 2 dents that IMO approximate where the top of a horses head made impact.  The horse must have been tied rather long and reared rather hard to cause that amount of damage.  Hopefully you will get your trailer fixed and it is good to know there were no serious injuries
SaraRides
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 9:29 PM (#58132 - in reply to #58090)

New User

You are correct in your statement..not all manufacturers use the same thickness aluminum in their roofs.  Maybe we, as horse owners, can't expect these guys to build armored tanks out there for our horses, but I tell you what, I sure do pay alot more attention to construction than ever before.

I met someone at a horse expo last weekend who told me that her horse kicked a whole in her tire and blew it out.....and guess what, it was from the inside of her trailer. Went right through the wheel well. Geesh. Horses kick. Manuf's know this and some of them build reinforcements right into their trailers.

Another gentlemen was telling us about his horse getting nervous backing out of his trailer and got his head all cut up in the roof vent. These are pretty "common" behaviors in horses...why shouldn't we expect manufacturers to "plan" for this?? I'm willing to pay a little more for it...as safety is my absolute 1st priority.

The Sport trailer by Exiss was put out in the market to provide a lower cost alternative to horse owners. I guess sometimes we get what we pay for?

Sara

Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-03-30 11:26 PM (#58137 - in reply to #58098)

Originally written by hdcapps on 2007-03-30 1:04 PM

If nothing else comes of this, I hope that it is an education for all.  It has been for me.  I guess I like my old steel trailer quite a bit more now!  lol  If we are all more aware of how our trailers are made we become better educated horse owners.  And that is what helps to keep our horses safe.  Regardless of what some believe my motives to be, it is really just that simple.  I do want to say that I have received countless private emails and 4 Star customers in general seem very, very pleased with their trailers and their service.  That is such a good thing to hear. 

I agree.  The company and/or the dealership which sold you the 2006 trailer could have made the repair and kept you as a happy customer.  Instead, we are looking at photos of a less than a year old product with a defect or weakness and striking that product off our shopping list. 

Good luck with the repair or selling the trailer, though I'd do the latter. 

Aspen West
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2007-03-31 7:57 AM (#58141 - in reply to #58044)

We have hauled horses commercially and for ourselves since the early sixties in a variety of trailers. I agree horses have a knack for hurting themselves. In almost 50 yrs of hauling horses including TB and warmbloods we have NEVER EVER had a horse split a trailer roof open from hitting with their head.

I have a huge problem with Exiss statement that using the trailer to haul horses is misuse. What exactly are you supposed to use this horse trailer for then?

Horse trailer roofs and in general are not made equal BUT regardless they should be safe and made to withstand some horse abuse. Nearly every horse at some time is going to be a dink in the trailer - that is simply life and the law of averages. The bottom line is the trailer is reasonably new, still under warranty and this gal quite rightly expected them to stand behind their warranty. They haven't and if I was her - I would want the world to know that fact as well. Isn't that what forums are about?

Personally couldn't give me an Exiss, I borrowed one, used it, hated it - it was all over the road, loaded or empty and had a "tin box" feel to it.

As I said we haul horses commercially, currently using a Hawk 4 horse head to head that came with a 5 yr warranty and Hawk has gone above and beyond with the problems we've had over the years with it. It now has a million kilometers on it and we get to haul horses who are nasty, horses who have never been hauled, horses who have no manners, etc etc and I would and am going to buy another HAWK trailer. We bought this trailer from a gal who bought it new and never used it - warranty was transfered and honored with no problems at all.

So I guess the bottom line is you read Bridget's post --- if you believe she is lying - your choice and you chose to buy an Exiss trailer knowing their warranty is useless - fine - don't come back whining about it later on.

I think she has been honest about what happened and posted her bad experience with the Exiss trailer and their complete disregard to honor their warranty with such a stupid statement as using the trailer to haul horses is misuse so that others could avoid having problems with Exiss warranty.
Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-31 8:58 AM (#58143 - in reply to #58044)

Regular

Its unfortunate that when you're buying a new trailer that you couldn't imagine anything going wrong with you tend to not put much emphasis on the warranty at the time.

Its also unfortunate that warranty coverage will be the first thing to make or break your long term opinion of a trailer.

This is why I keep a binder of every major trailer manufacturer's warranty terms. You would not believe how poorly most trailers are covered. Sure, a company might have a 2/6 warranty but it doesn't mean squat if there is a lot of fine print. Take a look sometime... I've seen everything from having to take the trailer back to the manufacturer, to voided warranties if you pull it with anything bigger than a one ton, to hitch to bumper warranties that don't cover anything important... and much more.

If this thread does nothing else, I bet more people will look at the warranty terms when they go to buy a trailer now.

Edited by Covert Cowboy 2007-03-31 9:01 AM

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World