'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bison trailers

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-11-23 10:59 PM
38 replies, 37652 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-28 6:09 AM (#68510)
Subject: Bison trailers

Hi- I'm new to this, because I'm selling my old trailer and looking seriously at Bisons. The prices are so reasonable for what I want, and the company I'm talking to is making every effort to help me out, especially since I am a very long way from the dealer. Has anyone bought a Bison without first seeing it face-to-face? And have you been happy with the trailer? I'd appreciate any feedback, since I'm the kind who keeps something for a good long time - I want to make the right choice!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-28 9:10 AM (#68519 - in reply to #68510)
Subject: RE: Bison trailers

Veteran

I bought a Bison Trail Express in March. It has 10' living quarters and is a 3 horse model. We bought it from Dixie Horse and Mule in Conyers, GA. I highly recommend them. They were very friendly, very helpful, and perfect customer service. We did go and pick up the trailer versus having it sent to us b/c we felt more comfortable that way but I would take a trailer from them w/o personally seeing it beforehand the next time. They really stand behind their sales and know their trailers.

We love the trailer. It has two propane tanks and two batteries, tons of storage space, open and roomy for the horses. We got the stud divider on the front stall b/c we normally use it for extra stuff and didn't want to worry about things sliding around back there.

The trailer tows perfectly but it is heavy. I wouldn't recommend pulling it with less than a 1 ton. Matter of fact, we had a GMC 2500 when we ordered the trailer but when we traded it for a Dodge 3500 diesel DRW before it came in & that truck pulls it like a dream, even in the mountains.

If you've got any specific questions, I'll be glad to answer them. If you trail ride or show every often, you could possibly check out the trailers then. I know we've had tons of interest from the public when we take our trailer out.

Edited by Lynn0202 2007-09-28 9:11 AM
Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-28 2:30 PM (#68538 - in reply to #68510)

Thanks Lynn - I guess I can say that it is DHMco that I'm dealing with. And like everyone has said, they have been so great and PATIENT with me! I too have spoken with Don the owner, (as someone mentioned in a previous message) and so enjoyed our conversation. I have had others (from emails to friends of friends) say they love their Bison as well. They seem like really great people. I think I'll have my trailer sold by tomorrow - wish me luck!

p.s. Did you get the mattress that came with the trailer? Was wondering how it sleeps??

Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-28 2:31 PM (#68539 - in reply to #68510)
Subject: Bison trailers - queen mattress

Can anyone tell me if a queen mattress will fit into a Bison 6.8 wide. It does in my old 7 wide trailer, so I'm assuming that it will.
Lynn0202
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-09-28 3:16 PM (#68541 - in reply to #68510)

Veteran

I believe the mattress that came with the trailer is queen size and its not hard as a rock but it's not far from it. I bought two queen pillow top cushion type things from Walmart and they work great with deep pocket sheets.
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-09-30 9:44 PM (#68641 - in reply to #68510)

Veteran

The question I have for you if you're buying a Bison is how often will you be using the trailer? If you haul alot a Bison may not be the trailer you want. That's about all I'll say.
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-09-30 10:17 PM (#68642 - in reply to #68510)

Veteran

i dont know how well they are built but  what i do know is they look nice..we camp/trailride alot and are seeing more and more... i have noticed they have alot of them with slide outs...i have looked at a couple on here and the prices are unbelievable (which scares me a little) we own a norstar cimmeron i would sure like a slide out they give so much more room.. no where are we serious just kind of looking around....hope it all works out...
mseyle
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-10-01 9:40 AM (#68655 - in reply to #68510)

I also own a Bison trailer and it has a slide, if you are wondering how it is constructed go to the trailer review section and there is an article from 2006 on the quality an afordability of this traler this should answer any questions.

I also purchased from Don Smith at Dixie Horse & Mule and would do the same again he knows how to treat people right.
Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-01 9:40 AM (#68656 - in reply to #68510)

I wouldn't say I "haul alot". Around here that means that you either show or rodeo - of course team penning and roping are big also. I do alot of riding trails, and we love to go camping and riding for 3-7 days. Lots of places aro0nd this part of the country to enjoy. So does that answer your question - I won't be pulling my new trailer down dirt roads - most of the trails we enjoy have wonderful camping/parking facilities, paved roads up to the spot. I do plan on purchasing a small 2 horse bumper pull someday to haul around, when we go on day rides. If you need to answer privately, please do so.
PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-10-02 2:13 PM (#68740 - in reply to #68510)

Veteran

I've had my Bison almost 4 years now and I continue to be extremely happy with it. Mine is an 8' sw with 6' slide. I 2nd the statement on the weight, at least if you're looking at an Alumasport (steel frame). Please don't hook it to a half-ton! They are great, reasonable trailers. No, they don't have leather walls, custom made sconces and a full fireplace...but they also don't cost as much as my house! I've had great service out of mine and would buy another in a heartbeat. Mine came from Randy at Ken Feagin in Fletcher, NC. Great guy, I've recommended him and the bisons to several folks and all have come away happy with a great deal on their trailers. good luck finding your perfect trailer.
donwest
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-02 4:08 PM (#68742 - in reply to #68510)

New User

I looked at Bison Trailers and felt they were a good value for the price of the trailer. However, I elected not to purchase that brand and went with a more refined finished LQ trailer with real wood interior for about the same price.  To me the interior of the Bison looked like the inside of a mobile home on the cabinet finish, wood work...
Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-02 4:52 PM (#68743 - in reply to #68742)

I dont' know how to send a private message, so I'll just ask...what brand did you buy??

mseyle
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-10-03 7:18 AM (#68763 - in reply to #68510)

Bison the Living Quarter Horse Trailer with Unusual Value and the only Horse Trailer Flush-Floor Slide-Out.

When you build over 700 Living Quarter horse trailers a year, putting you in the top 4 Living Quarter builders, according to Frank Parmater, sales manager for Bison, you get noticed. After just 4 years of new ownership, management and 250% growth, Bison drew the attention of major corporations. Which is just what happened when Monaco Coach bought Bison Trailers last year. Monaco Coach Corp. is the #1 builder of Class A diesel motorhomes. This makes only the second publicly traded horse trailer company. That says something about the stability and future of Bison Trailers. And think of the supplies buying power that Bison now has. It's this cost conscious philosophy that first attracted me to Bison. I first saw the Bison Stratus at the Horse Expo in Denver. A trailer this large, catches your eye. And after comparing trailers at the Expo, it was apparent after watching a few Bison's sell, that a Stratus Living Quarter horse trailer was $10,000 to $20,000 cheaper than other LQ's there. That's a lot of tomato's or a couple tanks of diesel.

That's the target of Bison with the Super Slide in the Stratus, is to be at the right price point. As I've seen in the RV industry which is use to selling to fixed income retired folks, Bison prices their trailers by time and materials not what the competition is selling at. Even though the price of the Bison LQ is what you see with entry level trailers, the engineering and design of the trailers moves them to the middle of the pack. Bison improves their trailers on the fly, not waiting for a new production year. (98 % of their trailers are Living Quarter)

In the last four years, Bison under new ownership, went from a regional horse and stock trailer company to a national horse trailer manufacture targeting the Living Quarters market. Founded in 1980 making steel stock trailers, switching to aluminum skinned steel enclosed horse trailers in 1995, Bison Manufacturing now concentrates on two horse trailer lines. The Alumasport is a metal frame, aluminum skin enclosed horse trailer in 7 and 8' widths and the Stratus aluminum enclosed horse trailer in 8' width.

The True Flush-Floor Slide-Out, oh my! Now you can have real room to roam in a Bison.

Look at the flush slide-out floor, no trip up, I mean no step up to the sofa or dinette. Lots of room is a good thing. Building horse trailers in the middle of the largest RV manufacture region, just south of the Great Lakes, is another good thing. That's how you stay in touch with the latest and greatest RV innovations that work in horse trailer Living Quarters. RV style flush slider floor, carpet on top of carpet. Floor glides on a nylon plate, when the slide-out is all the way out, the floor drops into a beveled slot. Look at it close, because it's the future.

The massive frame section of the slide-out unit replaces a section of the floor frame, this keeps the extra weight of a LQ slide-out to a minimum and the design allows the slide-out floor to match the main floor by the thickness of the carpet. A rack and pinion slide-out running gear, another place where the RV technology helps Bison with the only flush floor slider in a horse trailer LQ. Bison factory slide-out frame is part of the floor frame, not a slider frame on top of the factory floor.

Because Bison builds mostly Living Quarter horse trailers, they engineer the trailer structure around the large hole for slide-outs. Double framed above the slider hole and angle braced to provide a stiff truss like structure.
Extra bracing sides, wall and roof for the slide-out. Extra roof bows for the slide-out hole. The general framing is massive. Good thing they have volume buying power for aluminum. You learn a lot touring a horse trailer factory. Some of the most import features are buried in the walls.
Having a flush slide-out floor, allows an extra 6 inches above the side-out hole, where Bison adds, what else, but more bracing. Think about that when your trailer is 10 years old and you haven't had to fix it.

Stratus Aluminum Trailers

1st picture is roof rail. Extruded aluminum, top edge rail is 3/16 T-6. I-beam cross members are on 16" centers. Side floor rails box the floor in, then the frame is attached outside of that. Pictures below show the extruded aluminum flooring welded on top of the aluminum I-beam cross members. as you can see from the pictures, Bison gets extreme with framing. AdvanTech 3/4" flooring used in the Living Quarter, is water proof with a 50 year warranty. Another product brought from the RV industry. There is gutter barrier between the aluminum horse floor and the LQ floor to keep urine outside.

The rear door corner is reinforced in the 1st picture below. Bison is very conscious in it's commitment to have no leaks from structural flexing or anything else that would cause annoying roof leaks.

Engineering shows in the framework, not what you'd expect from a trailer it this price range. Braced like it hauls buffalos I mean Bison.

Bracing for the neck is again extreme, which is good. Bison trailers have the front bulkhead riser enclosed. Looks expensive.

Below, more neck framing. Upside down below, but you get the idea that the gooseneck hitch has an entire framework that ties to the floor frame. Most aluminum trailers have steel where the gooseneck attaches and the axles. Bison uses the most steel I'm seen in the neck of an aluminum trailer. Neck frame and axle frame are powder coated. Bottom right picture is the slide-out frame. It's double gusset reinforced, as it is part of the trailer floor frame.

Alumasport SE, Steel Frame, Aluminum Skin

This is where the company started, steel trailers. 12 gauge channel-iron floor cross members, sheet metal is 18 gauge, posts are 14 gauge, Yes the necks are beefy. Nice welds, With large LQ's I'm a fan of double jacks.

Reinforced hinge below. License plate bracket, you won't scratch the paint with a screw driver. Optional insulated enclosed ceiling.

Alumasport has a fiberglass gel coat roof nose for the smooth look. Alumasport rear saddle rack swings out with an assist strut on top as seen below. Bison's exterior paint has a one year warranty, 3 year structural, workmanship and material warranty. Axles have 5 year warranty.

Clean fully enclosed riser wall adds class, in white or diamond plate and optional enclosed neck frame to the right. The enclosure opens up completely or 1/2 door at a time. Picture left, shows the water spigot under the enclosed bulkhead, the small things count on the road.
Bison maintains a substantial amount of open inventory for their dealers. So if your dealer doesn't have the trailer you are looking for, odds are in your favor that they can get it. Frank Parmater inspecting a finished trailer to the right. I saw several managers inspecting trailers. When the factory does the Living Quarter warranty also, you know they want the trailer right when it leaves. This makes improvements happen faster.

Horse approved

With the 60-40 rear doors, it's easy to load. The Paint horse is "Flirts with Chics" owner Bailey Walters and the Quarter Horse is "My Shock is Fancy" owner Katie McHenry. Sheila Conley is the trainer doing all the work as I play with my camera in the rain.

Super Slide, 16' short wall and 12' slider

Built like a tank for horses, I took a C4500 GMC to Elizabeth RV in Colorado last summer to tow the giant and it's super 12 ' slider. The 12' super slider has 4 windows. Like being at home on the road. Sure beats Motel 6 and port-a-potties at horse events. It's so nice having a LQ trailer with all the conveniences with you, turning horse events into family vacations.s.

The trailer I towed was the 8416MM with a 16' short wall, yes 16' with a 12' flush floor slider. The trailer is 42' long, 8 ' wide with 7'7" interior height in the horse area and a 7' ceiling in the LQ. The dry weight is 10,900 for this aluminum 4 horse, so I don't want to see you towing this with a 3/4 ton near me. The GMC C4500 matched well to this trailer.

This is one of those trailers that you buy after you look at a dozen LQ horse trailers that can't beat the value. I pulled the Stratus through the horse countryside east of Parker CO. The GMC C4500 with the same diesel and transmission in GM HD 2500's, had no problem towing the Stratus. Pulling a large LQ trailer doesn't tow much different with or without horses. This combination towed well. Bison has several sizes of trailers to choose from to match your horse needs and size of your truck.

60-40 rear door, my favorite size. Give your horse a large target to load in. The rear doors will open individually. So you can open the tack door without telling the horses they are about to unload. Each rear door has it's own rubber gasket where they join the tack divider.

Stratus manger above, Alumasport below. Plenty of padding above, I like the look of stainless below. You can have it either way.

Below left, spring loaded divider. Next behind the rear tack is an opening all the way to the front stall. Stash away out of site hay, bicycles, ladders, in-laws, Mini-Coopers or it's a good place for a generator or water tank.

And now finishing the LQ, 10-12-14' short wall LQ and the Super Slide 16' short wall.

Roof gutter top left, is part of Bison's "no leak" roof. Bison utilizes the RV labor force around Elkhart Indiana. Skilled folks know what they are doing and "get er done."

Well done threshold below left. Above is the step to the neck bed built into the bulkhead frame. The slide-outs are designed into the trailer, with over 700 Living Quarter trailers produced a year at the Indiana plant.

Below left, the rack and pinion dual ram slide-out mechanism is smooth. Also a smooth look from the optional insulated enclosed ceiling in the horse area. Optional Fantastic fan just like the top end RV's and the electrical center for breakers and fuses.

Look at the size of the bed in the neck. The kitchen is just like most RV's. Big sink. We've all seen the great LQ conversions available that make you drool, but I think the best value for most of us is the factory LQ's like what I see from Bison. LQ's done "in house" costs less with more control and warranty work done all at the same place. And having the trailer factory doing warranty work, gives them direct feedback to problems that can be remedied through the chain. I see this in the RV industry, where folks have to take their motor homes to one place to work on the chassis and another shop to work on the coach. As well as with some LQ's needing work at different shops depending on if a "shell" problem or "conversion" problem. I'm predicting we'll see more horse trailer manufactures doing their own LQ's in the future.

Having management and engineers from the RV industry at the helm of Bison, puts focus on the Living Quarter horse trailer market.

Above left, front kitchen is a space efficient option. Top right, cut out step into the neck bed is a nice feature. Can you imagine how a conversion company would go about cutting out a step from the riser bulkhead. Optional Mid-line package in Cherry. Looks rich.

Very livable space, I counted 3 closets in the Mid-line package in Cherry. Folding chairs is a nice touch.

Allot of RV manufactures claim better workmanship because they are in Amish country and hire Amish workers. I saw a few carriages near Shipshewana Indiana. Bison manufactures their trailers just south of Elkhart Indiana, the capital of the RV Industry. Being owned by a RV manufacture, Monaco Coach, has some big advantages building LQ's. Supplies are cheaper as in thousands of air conditioner's not hundreds, shared technology, buildings and engineering synergy. I like the butterfly latch on the escape door for traveling as well as a entry latch for using when parked.

I towed a Bison Stratus Super Slide last summer from Elizabeth RV & Auto, Elizabeth CO last summer with a GMC C4500 and Monroe dually bed. It had at least 8 inches of bedrail clearance. The Bison towed straight and easy.
Jason Conley of Kerlin Trailers loaned me his dually to test drive a Bison Stratus. Jason and Richard King sell Bison's at Kerlin Trailers Motorsports Western Wear in Warsaw IN a division of Kerlin Ford, 79 years young at Silver Lake IN.

Thanks to Elizabeth RV & Auto of Elizabeth Colorado for use of the Stratus Super Slide and Jason Conley of Kerlin Trailers for the truck as well as Sheila Conley for the horse models. For more info see www.BisonTrailer.com

The Monroe truck bed on the C4500, gives you a usable bed you are use to and has around 8 inches of bedrail clearance on most horse trailers including the Bison Stratus.

barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-10-03 9:08 AM (#68767 - in reply to #68510)

Veteran

I would have to agree with Dixie! They are great trailers for the money, but may not be something to hold up for long term use. Just keep in mind that old saying "you get what you pay for". You may want to consider looking at a newer used high end trailer if you want to keep it for years & years. This site will give you a good idea of resale vaule. We kept our Sundowner Sunlite for 15 years and got within $1000 of what I paid for it and bought another Sundowner Sunlite. A little more to start with, but well worth it! Never had a repair bill! Good luck!
dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-10-03 11:28 AM (#68775 - in reply to #68510)

Veteran

I might even suggest looking at a new Kiefer Built they are a lot better built than a Bison and not a whole lot more expensive. Best of all they have a 3 year hitch to bumper warranty and an 8 year structural warranty on the Genesis and the Evolution. You can get into an expensive trailer with Kiefer, but they also offer some lower priced trailers that are built the same just have a little less fancy LQ.
mseyle
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-10-03 3:30 PM (#68788 - in reply to #68510)

We researched nearly every trailer manufacturer in the country and hand picked the ones we felt were the best built, longest lasting and that offer the best warranty.  We did this because we want to sell you a trailer that will last you a lifetime and one you will be happy with for a lifetime. 

The above is a quote taken from Dixie at her web sight and she also sells Bison.

dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-10-05 1:01 PM (#68867 - in reply to #68510)

Veteran

mseyle, First off its HE and that was very clever. But I wasn't going to bring up the fact that I was a trailer dealer at all I didn't think it was important as I am not trying to sell a trailer. I WAS a Bison dealer and I have not got them took off my website yet. I carried Bison for about 2 months and had nothing, but problems out of them the quote that you used is true and that is why we dropped Bison like a rock because they no where near represent the type of quality that we want to sell. I felt guilty selling some of those trailers and I don't like that so they're gone. I still say they have their place in the market, but I just wasn't wanting to be part of that market.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2007-10-05 1:24 PM (#68869 - in reply to #68867)

Expert

Waiting for somebody to jump in and either knock Exiss,or put in a plug for them.
Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-07 7:05 PM (#68950 - in reply to #68510)

Some very good comments...I just looked at another message about Bisons having leaky roofs, so I'm worried about that. Any comments? What's this about a fiberglass roof??

Here's the problem: most trailer companies, especially around here (OK) either don't have two horse LQ trailers on their lot, don't want to make one, or don't have the door on the passenger side (for us campers who love the finer comforts of camping - ex: picnic table, fire ring - all on the PASSENER SIDE of back-up spots). This includes Keifer and Exiss. There may be some, but most are on the driver's side. And of course...the price. The Bisons have so much more for the $$.

There have been some good comments, and bad. But when you compare to Fords vs. Dodge vs. Chevy, there will be pros and cons as well - which BTW - I drive a FORD deisel!

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-10-07 11:56 PM (#68980 - in reply to #68510)

Elite Veteran

I'm on my 2nd Bison.  No roof leaks.  Bison doesn't use the Fiberglass roof anymore. 

Did you get my p.m.?

barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2007-10-08 8:47 AM (#68991 - in reply to #68510)

Veteran

I say “hats off” to Dixie. HE obviously has enough tact and integrity to not try and sell you something that he didn’t feel was what you needed, he just presented the facts from his standpoint. Not sure what more one could ask! Let’s face it, the horse world can certainly use all the integrity it can get!

dixie
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2007-10-08 12:54 PM (#68998 - in reply to #68510)

Veteran

Thank You.
spirited1
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-09 8:25 AM (#69045 - in reply to #68510)

New User

Take a look at an American Spirit.  I am looking at them at Congress this week and am really impressed. They too have a flush floor slide.  Sharp trailer

Teri
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-10-09 5:12 PM (#69089 - in reply to #68510)

I think I did get your p.m. 

Thanks!

ANP
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-12 7:57 PM (#69282 - in reply to #68510)

I have owned a Bison bumper pull for years...has actually held up very well...doesn't look that great because of the rust (steel).  I am also familiar with the Bison history and can say that Bison is currently owned by a group interested in returning quality to the Bison name.  The company was sold once or twice in the past number of years and their quality suffered.  I also want to commend Dixie for giving just the facts.  He provided me with information/suggestions while I was shopping...knowing that I would not be purchasing from him...his insight was very helpful.  I settled on a new alum Keifer Built Advantage Stock Combo 3-H GN.  My Bison is still sitting in the driveway and will be used for other stock hauling.  Thanks to Dixie's knowledge I was able to negotiate a better deal with my local dealer.   
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)