'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
ATTN: OWNERS OF SUNDOWNER TAILERS
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-26 6:26 PM
141 replies, 72110 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh Frozen
Message format

VAcowboy
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-14 12:50 PM (#76874 - in reply to #76872)
Subject: RE: ATTN: OWNERS OF SUNDOWNER TAILERS

The problem has never been corrected.  The most amazing thing to me is that Sundowner has never recalled any of these trailers or attempted to alert their customers of the inherent dangers cooncerning the frame issue.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
perk2754
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-02-15 5:55 AM (#76896 - in reply to #76773)

Veteran

Sure glad the ex kept the Valulite and I kept the truck........
3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-02-15 9:07 AM (#76902 - in reply to #76773)

Regular

VAC....Please do as GARD has requested....this topic has been discussed many times and there has been alot thrown out on this topic......As an Orange Oval follower, I can tell you that the topic is "old news".....I appreciate you wanting to "get it out" into the public, but the fact of the matter is that there is no need to beat on this horse anymore......I can go back and give my 2 cents worth, which does mentioning "properly maintaining" your trailer, "aka barntoys response", but I will hold off......NOW, with all that said, yes Sundowner does strip the trailer of all it's skin and build new frames and re-builds the trailer to make it "almost new"...I know this because my shop has done it a few times to make things right per the factory's approval.......that is how good they stand behind there product....8 year structual means, 8 year structual...not "limited 8 year structual"......WHO ELSE HAS A TRANSFERABLE STRUCTUAL WARRANTY IN THE BUSINESS ???..NOBODY !!!!.....OK, enough said, back to the topic......if your trailer is less than 8 years old from it's original date of service and you have transfered the structual warranty into your name with the factory, then call the factory and discuss your problem....they will take your call and they will talk to you about this....they do not hide from it..NO ONE STANDS BEHIND THERE PRODUCT BETTER THAN SUNDOWNER !!! Why do you think there are so many of them on the road ???.....Good luck....See, that was a calm response !!!....LOL !!!!
Riderguy
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-15 9:09 AM (#76903 - in reply to #76773)

Actually, the problem was recently corrected when Sundowner announced that the particular construction style in question was being discontinued. Other than that- it was a engineering defect, pure & simple. And they're "covering" it for folks under warranty. But what happens to problems that don't show up until after the warranty is expired?
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-02-15 9:26 AM (#76904 - in reply to #76773)

Charter Member

So alerting my friend, who just bought a used 2005 Sunlite 727 would be a good thing. Otherwise, since she doesn't spend a lot of time on the internet, she would have no access to this information.

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-02-15 9:33 AM (#76905 - in reply to #76773)

Extreme Veteran

I had one of those trailers and was never told about the problem. I have traded it for a bigger one now, but would they have let me know?? I am glad VAcowboy posted that, no harm in updating information for those that may have missed something online.
trailridngal
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2008-02-15 9:33 AM (#76906 - in reply to #76902)

Regular

NOW, with all that said, yes Sundowner does strip the trailer of all it's skin and build new frames and re-builds the trailer to make it "almost new"...I know this because my shop has done it a few times to make things right per the factory's approval.....

How long does it take for Sundowner to do this? What does a person do for a trailer when their's is in the shop?

Edited by trailridngal 2008-02-15 9:56 AM
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-02-15 9:36 AM (#76907 - in reply to #76902)

Charter Member

Originally written by 3yrHitch2Bumper on 2008-02-15 9:07 AM

VAC....Please do as GARD has requested....this topic has been discussed many times and there has been alot thrown out on this topic......As an Orange Oval follower, I can tell you that the topic is "old news".....I appreciate you wanting to "get it out" into the public, but the fact of the matter is that there is no need to beat on this horse anymore......I can go back and give my 2 cents worth, which does mentioning "properly maintaining" your trailer, "aka barntoys response", but I will hold off......NOW, with all that said, yes Sundowner does strip the trailer of all it's skin and build new frames and re-builds the trailer to make it "almost new"...I know this because my shop has done it a few times to make things right per the factory's approval.......that is how good they stand behind there product....8 year structual means, 8 year structual...not "limited 8 year structual"......WHO ELSE HAS A TRANSFERABLE STRUCTUAL WARRANTY IN THE BUSINESS ???..NOBODY !!!!.....OK, enough said, back to the topic......if your trailer is less than 8 years old from it's original date of service and you have transfered the structual warranty into your name with the factory, then call the factory and discuss your problem....they will take your call and they will talk to you about this....they do not hide from it..NO ONE STANDS BEHIND THERE PRODUCT BETTER THAN SUNDOWNER !!! Why do you think there are so many of them on the road ???.....Good luck....See, that was a calm response !!!....LOL !!!!

I think it is a nice thing that this topic (which you claim has been discussed many times) was brought up again. Many new people join this forum frequently and reposting information as valuable as this is a good thing for those people.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-15 10:08 AM (#76910 - in reply to #76773)

Expert

Using the search function allows the new members, to access a wealth of preposted information. This knowledge is voluminous and varied, incorporating almost any particular involved in the ownership of trucks and horse trailers.

However, constantly rehashing the same issues, is counter productive and makes it quite uncomfortable for all involved. It detracts from the camaraderie that the membership has enjoyed, and may result in some readers finding another venue in which to browse and source for information.

This thread was different, in that it was quite tempered in its manner when compared to past examples. Perhaps it means we are becoming more civilized, and can actually discuss an issue.

Discussion is always the best policy, but "Don't ask, don't tell" has been most recently used to avoid conflict. It is a self preservation tactic, and I have written about the results in my political correctness thread.

I'm hoping that this will be our new start in the discussion of facts with little rhetoric being involved.

BOL  gard

Edited by gard 2008-02-15 10:15 AM
Riderguy
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-15 10:28 AM (#76913 - in reply to #76773)

I'm with you Gard. I know that I've never seen anyone address this issue as clearly as VA has done. Previous threads alluded to a problem, but there was never a differentiation of the steel in a Trail-Et, Merhow, Kiefer Built, or Sundowner (or others). We now know why the Sundowners are rusting/corroding so much more. It's not a steel problem, its a combination of steel & powdercoating. And yes, folks who own one should go out & look at it carefully. This has been a very helpful thread that has done a lot to educate folks.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-02-15 10:30 AM (#76914 - in reply to #76773)

This is a very interesting and enlightening post. I'm wondering if the warranty that covers this fault is transferable to a second or third owner, as long as it is still within the 8 year period? There are about 1500 Sundowners listed for sale on this site alone. What are the legal ramifications of someone selling one of these trailers without having the repair made? Is the seller obligated to disclose this fault to a potential buyer? I suspect the cost to make this repair may be significant if the trailer is no longer under factory warranty. Is Sundowner going to do anything to help those unfortunate owners of trailers not covered by warranty? I think VAC may have done a lot of folks a huge favor by allerting everyone to this, as it is certainly the first I've heard about it.
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-02-15 11:11 AM (#76915 - in reply to #76773)

Veteran

I'm wondering now if all steel framed/alum. skin trailers have this same problem or is this inherit only to Sundowner?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-15 11:32 AM (#76917 - in reply to #76773)

Expert

A lot would depend on where you live; snow belt or dry area.

Just as all aluminum trailers are not built equally, neither are all steel trailers. Some manufacturers will prepare the steel as well as possible, while lesser quality builders will cut corners. This is why it's best to be educated about the various brands when you shop, and know what the build quality and reputation is of the brands in which you are interested.

Gard

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2008-02-15 11:35 AM (#76918 - in reply to #76773)

Veteran

I do not write since I am not as gifted as others on projects.  This subject has caught my eye.  I am glad the information was brought up.  I don't have lots of people helping me and all the fixes I either have to do or pay someone to do for me.  My husband owns the truck but I have to do everything since he is not involved with horses.  So buying a new/used trailer is my business and the closest dealer is Sundowner.  I was thinking about trading or buying a different horse trailer.  Some information might be like "beating a dead horse" but I do not think this was one of those times.  As far as buying a used or new Sundowner I will be printing this information and showing my Sundowner dealer.  I am interested in learning about what they are going to do to help me not have this issue.  Especially if I want a used horse trailer.  Thank you for keeping me and my animals safe. 

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2008-02-15 4:09 PM (#76928 - in reply to #76773)

Expert

I don't see this working out so well, Why was there not a recall? How are you going to go about getting one fixed if the warranty hasn't been transfered? This could get kinda ugly in my opinion, since Sundowner has acknowledged a problem.
Riderguy
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2008-02-15 5:02 PM (#76932 - in reply to #76773)

Duckman, it is a problem only with Sundowners because of the powdercoating as VA points out. The other brands that are painted aren't showing this "rot" (the best word I can think to use).

(Edited for spelling, because I can't spell)

Edited by Riderguy 2008-02-15 5:03 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-15 5:06 PM (#76935 - in reply to #76932)

Expert

Originally written by Riderguy on 2008-02-15 6:02 PM

The other brands that are painted aren't showing this "rot" (the best word I can think to use).

There are other brands of steel frame trailers with rust issues (oxidation) depending on where they are used

VAcowboy
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-15 9:51 PM (#76953 - in reply to #76907)

In response to 3yrHitch2Bumper, I have one question. If as you say, "No one stands behind their product better than Sundowner", why hasn't Sundowner done a recall or attempted to notify owners of Valuelite trailers that there may be a probem with their frames? It couldn't have anything to do with cost could it? To do a decent resanding job and applying rust retardant material (POR15) costs at least $1000. Considering how many Sundowner Valuelite trailers that are the road, that is a staggering figure. Reminds me of the Ford Pinto gas tank issue.

You say we shouldn't beat an old horse. I beg to differ. From posts that I am reading there are a lot of Valuelite owners out there that are totally unaware of the problem. Even in states that require yearly safety inspections, most shops don't bother to look underneath the trailer to check the frame for rust. Its quite easy to do especially if the trailer is put over a pit. Although one can look underneath the trailer and start poking the frame with a screw driver to check for rust.

I have a friend who owns a Valuelite, and just notfied Sundowner that her frame was rusting. It was one month after the 8 year warranty. You know what Sundowner's response was? Tough luck. I just want these trailer owners to be informed and not put themseoves and/or their horses in danger.

Clay Smith
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2008-02-16 8:11 AM (#76960 - in reply to #76773)

Elite Veteran

Just to set the record straight regarding 3yr's point, there are several manufacturers who have a transferable warranty, of which their structural warranty is a part of it. If you have any questions about your trailer's warranty, please check with your dealer for full details.
RTSmith Select Trailer Co.
VAcowboy
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-16 9:06 AM (#76967 - in reply to #76773)

For those of you that are Sundowner Valuelite owners (or know people who are), and have any technical questions regarding your powder-coated frame rusting, I would suggest you call Anthony Holder, Sundowner's Warranty Manager.  His e-mail address is:  anthonyh@sundownertrailers.com.  He can be reached at 1-800-654-3879.

Best of luck.

Clay Smith

BettyLou
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-16 9:52 AM (#76972 - in reply to #76773)

Is Sundowner going to sell the steel frame models that dealers already have in stock? If they are, are they going to notify the buyer of these problems before the sale?
mrf
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-16 10:42 AM (#76977 - in reply to #76773)

New User

Even if your trailer is under warranty, it doesn't mean that Sundowner is going to fix it.  I'm waiting to hear on mine.  I guess they have been denying lots of warranty claims on this issue claiming owner negligence!!!  I will NEVER buy another Sundowner. 
VAcowboy
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-16 12:41 PM (#76983 - in reply to #76872)

Mandy:

I am not sure when the problem first surfaced.  Through all of this I have met people who have had their frames treated as early as mid 2002 by Sundowner.  So obviously they knew about the problem then.  The only thing Sundowner did to correct the problem was to discontinue making the trailer this winter.  That's 9 years, and not tell anyone about it.

BettyLou
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-16 1:28 PM (#76985 - in reply to #76773)

The Sundowner dealer I went to tried to sell me a 727 and did not mention the frame problem.  I am very glad I was told by a friend to look on horse trailer world.  I could have made a big mistake!  I will not be buying one now!
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-02-16 4:37 PM (#76994 - in reply to #76910)

Charter Member

I'm fully aware of the search function as I have used it many times. Often because I can't get answers to questions I have by asking them.

The difference in this case is the information that was presented here would not ordinarily affect me. This also means this is information I would have never found by searching and especially not for this particular problem, but because it was mentioned, I found out about something I had never heard of, but that does also affect me since a friend just purchased a trailer which falls into this category and this is a friend I haul with quite frequently. Presenting her with this information could keep both of us from getting in a bind somewhere on the road.

I also read Gard's political correctness thread and I agree that there is way too much "don't ask, don't tell" stuff around here. I'm a member of several other forums and this one, as probably the smallest one I am a member of, seems to have the biggest problem with people getting their feathers ruffled over other peoples comments...and quite frankly the things here that I have seen people get their feathers ruffled over are rather simple things that, elsewhere, other people would have just blown off.

The strange thing is, most other places, things are disputed in a very civil manner (depending on which other forum I am on) and most of the time, many good points are stated from opposing sides, ending often with the "let's agree to disagree" comment. In just a short time here, I seem to come across more "my way (or my brand) is better and there is no other way (or brand)" and yet there seems to be little support for certain reasons.

I've rec'd PMs from members on several topics with opinions they were afraid to state publicly just to avoid controversy. This is sad because it takes away from the educational value of the board. Almost anytime someone has a question, you can bet there is someone else in the world with the same question, reluctant to ask. If we only share the "good" stuff via PM, there are many people missing out on valuable information.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)