'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
ATTN: OWNERS OF SUNDOWNER TAILERS
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-02-26 6:26 PM
141 replies, 72117 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh Frozen
Message format

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-02-16 5:57 PM (#77000 - in reply to #76773)
Subject: RE: ATTN: OWNERS OF SUNDOWNER TAILERS

Extreme Veteran

Whaaaat?  People are reluctant to post their opinions on this forum?  Could'a fooled me.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-02-16 9:58 PM (#77012 - in reply to #76773)

Expert

here, here, you are so right, thank you very much. Information can be passed on with out the sarcastic or belittling anybody Gaucho 

TwoBucksRanch
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-02-17 7:52 AM (#77024 - in reply to #76967)

We tried to send an email to the address you listed, but, it came back as incorrect, it could be they are getting hit with so many emails, it was bounced back.  Maybe they even changed it.  Have you had trouble sending emails to that address? 

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

TwoBucksRanch

VAcowboy
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-18 8:07 AM (#77136 - in reply to #77024)

Two Bucks Ranch:

Anthony Holder's correct e-mail address is: anthonyh@sundownertrailers.net.

Please excuse error.

traveller
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-02-18 1:02 PM (#77160 - in reply to #76773)

I purchased an used 2001 Trailblazer II Sundowner last spring.  After viewing this thread I tried to get more information from the papers that I had to see if the numbers corresponded to the ones discussed here, but I can't seem to find out anything.  Does my trailer fit into this problem?  thanks for any help in this matter.  I will be out of luck as I didn't pay to have the warrenty transferred. 
VAcowboy
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-18 1:44 PM (#77165 - in reply to #76773)

Travel:

I believe the Travelblazer II is powder-coated.  Check underneath and/or call Sundowner.

Good luck.

Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-02-18 3:29 PM (#77174 - in reply to #76773)

Veteran

The easy way to tell if your Sundowner has a steel frame, is to lift up a mat and if the alum. boards run full length it is steel framed. They probably have black coating on them, but they are alum. (The all alum. trailers have floor boards that run sideways, not full length)
PacificBailey21
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-02-18 10:41 PM (#77221 - in reply to #76907)

Originally written by Mandi/Abby on 2008-02-15 9:36 AM

Originally written by 3yrHitch2Bumper on 2008-02-15 9:07 AM

VAC....Please do as GARD has requested....this topic has been discussed many times and there has been alot thrown out on this topic......As an Orange Oval follower, I can tell you that the topic is "old news".....I appreciate you wanting to "get it out" into the public, but the fact of the matter is that there is no need to beat on this horse anymore......I can go back and give my 2 cents worth, which does mentioning "properly maintaining" your trailer, "aka barntoys response", but I will hold off......NOW, with all that said, yes Sundowner does strip the trailer of all it's skin and build new frames and re-builds the trailer to make it "almost new"...I know this because my shop has done it a few times to make things right per the factory's approval.......that is how good they stand behind there product....8 year structual means, 8 year structual...not "limited 8 year structual"......WHO ELSE HAS A TRANSFERABLE STRUCTUAL WARRANTY IN THE BUSINESS ???..NOBODY !!!!.....OK, enough said, back to the topic......if your trailer is less than 8 years old from it's original date of service and you have transfered the structual warranty into your name with the factory, then call the factory and discuss your problem....they will take your call and they will talk to you about this....they do not hide from it..NO ONE STANDS BEHIND THERE PRODUCT BETTER THAN SUNDOWNER !!! Why do you think there are so many of them on the road ???.....Good luck....See, that was a calm response !!!....LOL !!!!

I think it is a nice thing that this topic (which you claim has been discussed many times) was brought up again. Many new people join this forum frequently and reposting information as valuable as this is a good thing for those people.

You are exactly right. This was the first time I heard it. So Thank You. Although I will never own another one (not for this reason) I am glad you shared it with us. I just don't understand why sone people have to be so rude!

PacificBailey21
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2008-02-18 10:41 PM (#77222 - in reply to #76907)

Originally written by Mandi/Abby on 2008-02-15 9:36 AM

Originally written by 3yrHitch2Bumper on 2008-02-15 9:07 AM

VAC....Please do as GARD has requested....this topic has been discussed many times and there has been alot thrown out on this topic......As an Orange Oval follower, I can tell you that the topic is "old news".....I appreciate you wanting to "get it out" into the public, but the fact of the matter is that there is no need to beat on this horse anymore......I can go back and give my 2 cents worth, which does mentioning "properly maintaining" your trailer, "aka barntoys response", but I will hold off......NOW, with all that said, yes Sundowner does strip the trailer of all it's skin and build new frames and re-builds the trailer to make it "almost new"...I know this because my shop has done it a few times to make things right per the factory's approval.......that is how good they stand behind there product....8 year structual means, 8 year structual...not "limited 8 year structual"......WHO ELSE HAS A TRANSFERABLE STRUCTUAL WARRANTY IN THE BUSINESS ???..NOBODY !!!!.....OK, enough said, back to the topic......if your trailer is less than 8 years old from it's original date of service and you have transfered the structual warranty into your name with the factory, then call the factory and discuss your problem....they will take your call and they will talk to you about this....they do not hide from it..NO ONE STANDS BEHIND THERE PRODUCT BETTER THAN SUNDOWNER !!! Why do you think there are so many of them on the road ???.....Good luck....See, that was a calm response !!!....LOL !!!!

I think it is a nice thing that this topic (which you claim has been discussed many times) was brought up again. Many new people join this forum frequently and reposting information as valuable as this is a good thing for those people.

You are exactly right. This was the first time I heard it. So Thank You. Although I will never own another one (not for this reason) I am glad you shared it with us. I just don't understand why some people have to be so rude!

Edited by PacificBailey21 2008-02-19 7:06 AM
HaulinHorses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-02-19 10:36 AM (#77253 - in reply to #76773)

Regular

He's rude because he's a Sundowner dealer who would rather see this thread disappear.  Want to wager a guess if he will inform his customers of the problems talked about here?
3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 11:14 AM (#77257 - in reply to #76903)

Regular

I need to add one other thing to this thread.....I appreciate everyone's opinion on this, but for some reason I think we are forgetting that these trailers are under the same catagory as a motor vehicle....I see comments like "design flaw, manufacture defect,recall,etc,etc.....but nobody gets all bent out of shape when your car or truck ,that is over 3 years old ,fenders starts to rust or your bumper rusts thru.....why is the trailer industry looked at in a different light ??...Do we forget that Sundowner is NOT the only manufacturer who has built trailers in this same manner ???...Why does Sundowner take the right hooks on such a subject??...Why not any of the other manufactuers who build trailers the same way??.None of them stand behind the product they put on the road like Sundowner does....Ask around and find a person who had their trailer fixed under this situation,their out there....I bet they are not throwing right hooks......Is it that Sundowner has a cross hair on it's logo so that whenever there is an issue with one of their trailers that the general public just hammers on them to make a point??......Tell me what any other manufacture would do ??.....I will let you all answer that one..The response's should be good!!....KEEP SMILIN !!!!
3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 11:19 AM (#77258 - in reply to #77253)

Regular

Cindy, if you are pointing the finger at me, I can honetly tell you that I do not have to worry about that because we insect all of our units when they come in and would not put a trailer back  out on the road if there was a structual issue.....I cannot speak for all the other dealers out there.....Smile Cindy !!!!....you seem upset !!!.....I a sorry people feel that my other post was "rude"....I see nothing rude about it and if it was rude, then Dave would have frozen the thread....Thx Cindy....Have a great day !!!....
HaulinHorses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-02-19 11:40 AM (#77260 - in reply to #76773)

Regular

Sundowner dealer...I am not singling out Sundowner trailers.  They are nice trailers.  If ANY manufacturer had a structural problem, I would want to see them do the right thing and announce a public recall on the models affected.  Are trailers regulated like vehicles are, and product recalls for safety reasons made mandatory?  I don't think so.  Most of the trailer manufacturers I have dealt with have been very good about fixing problems, and I would expect Sundowner to be the same way with this problem.  Only time will tell.  No one manufacturer is perfect.

We take Sundowners on trade, and I am always amazed at the customers who insist their Valuelite or Sunlite is all aluminum, until we show them different. Are they not informed of this at the time of the sale? 

I don't have a problem with any brand of steel framed trailers at all, as long as they are priced according to what they are, and the customers know what they are getting up front.  That's one thing we do here...point out the differences in an all aluminum trailer vs steel framed trailer, and let the customer make the choice, but at least it's an informed decision, usually based on price.

BettyLou
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-19 11:40 AM (#77261 - in reply to #76773)

3yrHitch2Bumper, or any Sundowner dealer:  Are yall going to sell the powder coated steel frame trailers you have in inventory? If so, are you going to advise customers of the problem?
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 12:14 PM (#77263 - in reply to #76773)

I just contacted Sundowner..and this is the response i got..Regarding the powder coating, Sundowner would like to say " THANK YOU" as a Sundowner owner for taking the time to contact us about the information you read and are concerned about.Unfortunately everything you see on some web sites are just simply not accurate at all, and this is certainly the case with this information.We want to assure you that this product has always been and still is a very good product. For the last several years it has carried a 3 year hitch to bumper warranty ( excluding tires, brakes, bearings, accessory batteries and abuse) along with an 8 year structural warranty. This is by far the strongest warranty in the industry. We stand behind our products as we always have and will continue to do so.Something to think about : For the Sundowner Products to carry the strongest warranty in the industry we have to have a lot of confidence in that product with every aspect of that product being considered. Today we still have the strongest warranty in the industry !I just ordered a brand new 727 a year and a half ago..i wonder where this leaves me?

Edited by spinnylena 2008-02-19 12:16 PM
3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 12:48 PM (#77267 - in reply to #77260)

Regular

Cindy... First you want to throw stones, now you want to play nice!!..OK, I'll play nice....Do you think for one minute that if the manufacturer that you represent had a problem,they would "recall" the trailers???....Of course not, recalls do not happen in the trailer industry do they???....they would fix the problem and move on and let the dealers who sell them deal with the customers....right???...right.....how long have you been on the business???....There is no doubt that there have been some "not so honest" trailer sales people out there that have not "disclosed" the fact that the trailer is not "all aluminum"....do all of your "sales people" in this world tell the truth, and nothing but the truth so help me god ???..NOT....I take it you do not put yourself in that category???...as I do not put myself in that category either......we just need to be real about all this stuff and not think that we can gain something by slandering another name to make ourselves look good....OH, and you hit the nail on the head when you said PRICE !!!!.....PRICE drives all of this stuff...
3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 12:58 PM (#77268 - in reply to #77261)

Regular

Betty, I now come to you......thanks for your question.....I am not sure if you are aware of this but the process changed a few years ago and now we not only powder coat the frame but we also Suncoat over top of it...Suncoat is a product like rhino line for your truck bed.....it is a secondary process that goes OVER the powder coat to protect even more.....Once again, there is no other company who takes the steps like Sundowner to protect the frame that they manufacture.....SO, to answer your question, we tell the customer all about the steel superstructure and the 2 applications that are now done to the frame....powdercoat and Suncoat......I think the majority of people are aware of the Suncoat process we do.....Steel is steel and aluminum is aluminum...things happen when they come together and are not protected properly.......Sundowner does not preach the practice of deceiving the customer over the frame of their trailers......Thanks and Happy trails!!!
Mandi/Abby
Reg. Sep 2003
Posted 2008-02-19 1:12 PM (#77269 - in reply to #76773)

Charter Member

LOL!!!!!!!!!

I emailed them also and got the EXACT same response as was posted above. I wonder if its something they have saved on their hard drive kinda like those "scripts" telemarketers have. LOL!!!

Here's what I got:

Sundowner would like to say " THANK YOU" as a Sundowner owner or
potential owner for taking the time to contact us about the information
you read and are concerned about.
Unfortunately everything you see on some web sites are just simply not
accurate at all, and this is certainly the case with this information.

We want to assure you that this product has always been and still is a
very good product. For the last several years it has carried a 3 year
hitch to bumper warranty ( excluding tires, brakes, bearings, accessory 
batteries and abuse) along with an 8 year structural warranty. This is
by far the strongest warranty in the industry. We stand behind our
products as we always have and will continue to do so.

Something to think about :   For the Sundowner Products to carry the
strongest warranty in the industry we have to have a lot of confidence
in that product with every aspect of that product being considered.
Today we still have the strongest warranty in the industry !

Thank you for your time

Of course, since many individuals here have stated they are having their's covered by warranty work, I am going to reply and question that as well.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-02-19 1:23 PM (#77270 - in reply to #76773)

Expert

I don't have a dog in this hunt but... This power coated, frame, rust, bubble thing, looks to me like it falls under the 3 year bumper to hitch warranty. If you are inside the 3 year window, then there may be some help available. It don't say they will warrant the frame's powercoat forever. (And is it really powercoat, Got to have a mighty big oven to bake that stuff on a 40+' trailer frame!!). If you are past your 3 years, then it seems to me you are on your own. I know it's sad to say, but it is, what it is... paint and power coat ain't structure, so the 8 year structure deal is out the window. If you got one of these trailers then you got one. I almost bought one back in 2001, had I done so I guess I would be fired up too, but it would have been out of warranty by now and it would be up to me to repair it, have it repaired or trade it off on something else.....

Sometimes I wish I still had my old 24', steel, Circle M stock trailer with the 4' dressing room. Kept it ten years, adjusted the brake every once in a while, repacked the bearing 3 times, and replaced the tires once...That's it.

I'm not taking sides on any of this, don't own a Sundowner, never have, but then again I may strike a wild hair and buy one before the week is out. Ya never know!!.

I'm on the outside looking in.......Here's the power coat process per...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating

Edited by retento 2008-02-19 1:26 PM
3yrHitch2Bumper
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 1:24 PM (#77271 - in reply to #77263)

Regular

Spinny....You ask yourself where this leaves you??..I will tell you...it leaves you with the best warranty in the business,just like they told you on the phone....Let me ask you a question...out of all the trailer manufactures in the world today, Sundowner is the "ONLY ONE" who offers a transferable structual warranty, now what does that tell you about the company and the trailer you own.Other manufactures know that they are out of the loop after you trade or sell the trailer if you are the first owner.At that time, they don't have to worry about you and your trailer anymore!!!..If they are so strong on there product , why doesn't anyone else offer a transferable structual warranty??..Answer me that one ???....plus if your trailer is a 2006-2007 model it has the dual application on the frame that I discussed in my other post to Betty.....please do not worry...you made the right choice to buy a Sundowner...I know that some people on here will disagree, but something made you decide on a Sundowner. Do not let everything you hear work on your mind....Good luck with your Sundowner Trailer !!!
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2008-02-19 1:59 PM (#77275 - in reply to #77271)

Veteran

Originally written by 3yrHitch2Bumper on 2008-02-19 1:24 PM

Spinny....You ask yourself where this leaves you??..I will tell you...it leaves you with the best warranty in the business,just like they told you on the phone....Let me ask you a question...out of all the trailer manufactures in the world today, Sundowner is the "ONLY ONE" who offers a transferable structual warranty, now what does that tell you about the company and the trailer you own.Other manufactures know that they are out of the loop after you trade or sell the trailer if you are the first owner.At that time, they don't have to worry about you and your trailer anymore!!!..If they are so strong on there product , why doesn't anyone else offer a transferable structual warranty??..Answer me that one ???....plus if your trailer is a 2006-2007 model it has the dual application on the frame that I discussed in my other post to Betty.....please do not worry...you made the right choice to buy a Sundowner...I know that some people on here will disagree, but something made you decide on a Sundowner. Do not let everything you hear work on your mind....Good luck with your Sundowner Trailer !!!

I have no "dog in the fight" either, but if Sundowner knew they had a problem and started adding Suncoat over the powdercoat in 2005, why didn't they do a recall??? Seems a hotshot lawyer would start something???
HaulinHorses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-02-19 2:37 PM (#77279 - in reply to #77267)

Regular

Originally written by 3yrHitch2Bumper on 2008-02-19 12:48 PM

Cindy... First you want to throw stones, now you want to play nice!!..OK, I'll play nice......

I either throw stones or play nice, depending on the response required for the circumstance.  I threw stones at you in my first post, not because of the Sundowner trailer problems, but because of your rude response to Abby & Cindy, who I happen to agree with. 

My second "be nice" post only concerned the trailers, and the fact that every manufacturer has their share of problems, and normally they are taken care of without too much incident.  I don't have any reason to throw stones at other trailer manufacturers because we sell them all, and they all have their place in the scheme of things.  If you are one of the Sundowner dealers who is an honest sales person, then I am humbled, and I apologize for suggesting that you might not mention the problems to your potential customers.   Back to work....I actually have a customer looking at a nice Valuelite we have on the lot!  Cheers! 

BettyLou
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-02-19 3:01 PM (#77282 - in reply to #76773)

My two questions have not been answered by 3yr or any other dealer.  Are you going to sell the powder coated steel frame models you have in stock, and are you going to advise the customer of the problems"?  Pretty simple straight forward questions.  The Sundowner dealer I visited a few days ago did not mention this problem to me at all.  He did try to sell me on a 727, saying it was over 85% aluminum.  He did not tell me it had a steel frame at all.  I actually thought it was all aluminum like some others I looked at.  I am very glad I did not buy from him.  I think this is less than honest on his part, and on Sundowners part for allowing, if not condoning, it.  I am very thankful a friend told me about this site.  I can sure see where the Sundowner dealers that are not completely honest would wish it were not public knowledge now.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-02-19 4:09 PM (#77292 - in reply to #76773)

Expert

Auto industry has not had a RUST issue in YEARS.They fixed that over two decades ago.
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-02-19 4:28 PM (#77293 - in reply to #76773)

3yrHitch2bumper...I had to read that reply twice to make sure it wasn't as condescending as it felt at first read. I wondered where that left me as i live in Canada,so a bit of a haul to OKC or any other place that will do warranty work of that magnitude.I don't think it is a job i would entrust to just any ole body shop. I never said i am unhappy with my trailer anywhere in my post..in fact i did plenty of homework before my purchase and still chose the Sundowner. I am thrilled with how it looks,hauls and it is very user friendly. when hauling by myself.But you must understand the consumers distress when hearing something like this after you have spent so much hard earned money. All we were asking was, i wonder where we go next,as like the other lady i got an auto response to my question from Sundowner..that is not personal service at all! And if there is a problem i would certainly like to get it dealt with before my warranty expires.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)