'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Replacing floor

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-01-18 5:50 PM
6 replies, 9465 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jaluhn
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-01-16 10:59 PM (#35574)
Subject: Replacing floor

Looks like all the recent rain out here (sacramento) finally did the trick on the floor in my old 4 horse, and I now have several board sowing severe rotting. Not sure if the rest are damaged as well, but I will probably replace them as well. My question is, what to use? I was figuring on using generic doug fir 2x12's (what's in there now) waterproofed somehow. I have also considered using pressure treated (green) lumber instead. Since it's usually used in direct contact with soil, I would think it could withstand the usual water/horse doings/etc of being a trailer floor. But, I don't think I have ever seen it used. Is there a reason? I know the treating chemical is somewhat poisonous (I think) but I don't see how this would be an issue. Doesn't seem that much more expensive, either. Barring that, what are ya'll's opinion on what to treat the boards with. (using regualr lumber) My though has always been to just put a good heavy coat of good outdoor paint on them, but other's have suggested tomphson's sealer, and I have seen used motor oil used to treat lumber as well. (probably wouldn't do that, but it did seem to work) Thanks ~ John
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 12:44 AM (#35576 - in reply to #35574)
Subject: RE: Replacing floor

Extreme Veteran

My '92 Featherlite has 2" thick pressure treated floor boards. Every year I worry I'll need to replace them, but they're still in great shape! I don't know about the poisons used in the pressure treated boards. If you have an enclosed trailer, it might be something to be concerned about. My stock trailer hasn't been a problem. Lots of folks on here seem to like the Rumber floors. Do a search for more info on those. Good luck!
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 7:04 AM (#35582 - in reply to #35574)

Expert

I've used pressure treat in several.I did have one that two years later looked like new and I found a soft spot.Carpenter ants! Actualy had several bad boards.I was like WOW.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-17 8:26 AM (#35591 - in reply to #35574)

Expert

pressure treated sealed with SPAR varnish, the floor of a lifetime!
TXAggie
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-01-17 3:01 PM (#35615 - in reply to #35574)
Subject: RE: Replacing wood floor with rumber

If you can afford the difference, I'd recommend rumber.

http://www.rumber.com/prod01.htm

replace it once and forget it.  No more pulling rubber mats, slick spots, painting, soft spots.  Just hose it out after you use it and you're good to go.

I have it in my trailer and just love it.

figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-01-18 5:10 PM (#35687 - in reply to #35574)

Regular

I think just about every manufacturer that use's wood flooring use's Treated lumber.

I have read somewhere on this site that Rumber needs support at about nine inch centers. So if you are wider  use wood, they have been useing it for a long time.

Rander
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-01-18 5:50 PM (#35691 - in reply to #35574)

Rumber would probably be the best choice if your tailer has floor supports at no greater than 12" centers. Rumber does not have as much strength as wood of equal thickness. Also Rumber is more expensive initally but should work out economically over the long run. If you use PT wood there are some things that will make the installation safer and more durable. You are in California and the pressure treated wood available there is different than the Southern Yellow pine we see here in southeastern states. Here the problem is finding clear 2X PT lumber that can stand the weight of horses. It may be less of a problem there. Anyway, pick over the lumber stack and get boards with no knots or with only widely spaced tight knots of less than one inch in diameter. The chemicals used to pressure treat wood(CAQ or Copper Azole)are highly corrosive to steel and aluminum. Pressure treated wood must never be put in direct contact with aluminum or ungalvanived steel. What I have had some success with is putting two layers of neoprene tape between the wood and metal floor supports and anywhere else the wood contacts metal. The tape is a 4 ince wide neoprene tape home builders normally used to flash around windows and doors that I found at Home Depot and Lowes. Any fasteners to hold the boards down should be at least hot dipped galvanized screws, Stainless steel is best. Hope this is some help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)