'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Home made Hi Ties

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-24 8:36 PM
19 replies, 18231 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sunnysmom
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-01-21 8:22 AM (#97919)
Subject: Home made Hi Ties

New User

We're wanting to put two high ties on the side of our trailer. Can anyone tell us how to make high ties? Thanks for any help.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-01-21 12:03 PM (#97937 - in reply to #97919)
Subject: RE: Home made Hi Ties

Veteran

The early Overhead Ties were made by a lady farrier.  She used 2" square stock.  Heated it and bent it.  I think she used the truck receiver hitch section welded to the side of the trailer.  The only draw back was you had to lift it out for travel and they are heavy.  This was on an old 2H BP. 
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-21 12:24 PM (#97940 - in reply to #97919)

Expert

Here's three different makes. Maybe you can look at the pictures and get some ideas on how to fabricate your own...

http://www.springtie.com/

http://www.redwolfranch.com/highline-trailer-tie-grey-p-5.html

http://www.tilt-tie.com/

Then there's the "Easy Care" product..

Complete HiTie System - The HiTie™ is manufactured by a leading hitch and receiver company. All rugged steel components are chromed for appearance and to avoid rusting. The fiberglass rod used in the HiTie™ system is also used in mooring whips designed to dock and protect boats up to 72,000 lbs. The new Adjustable Bungee eliminates the need for a runner extension and allows you to set the bungee height at your preferred level. It is simply the best horse tie on the market.

Comes complete with all parts required for attachment and use.

#P14-HITIE
Horizontal
CC Price:  $325.99
with bungee

Compare at: $290.99
without bungee
#P14-HITIE-V
Vertical
CC Price:  $325.99
with bungee

Compare at: $290.99
without bungee

This product is made as an act of love by the maker. He really enjoys having a great tie system for your horse. At this time, we are passing any sales of this item direct for you. 

That's alot of money for a piece of pipe, a spring and some bungie cord!!!

Edited by retento 2009-01-21 12:28 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-01-21 9:14 PM (#97960 - in reply to #97919)

Expert

The HiTie product is made from a fiberglass rod. They claim the rods are used to moor boats in slips. So maybe you could find them in some kind of Marine suppy center. They are 1" in diameter at the base and about 4' long.  On the fiberglass rod is attached a loop on the terminal end for you to attach a lead rope. And on the mount end is a hinge assembly that allows the unit to fold 90* so you can fold it in tight against the trailer for travel and fold out to tie the horse to. All metal is stainless steel so there is no rust or corrosion.

The fiberglass rod is strong enough that normal type of tugging by a horse won't break the rod. But it has give so it will buffer the tugging of the horse through the lead rope.

I doubt you will find the needed hardware to make one yourself. It is probably custom made just for HiTie.

If you want to make a home made product, you will need to decide just wat features of the HiTie are important to you.

I'm sure any competant machinist could fabercate a metal bracket to attach the product to the side of the trailer.  As mentioned the original product used a trailer hitch reciever that was bolted to the trailer and modified stinger was dropped into the reciever and a bolt was pushed through to lock it in place. The reciever/stinger are usually steel and will rust, are not very light weight and don't have the pivot feature of the newer versions.

Add to the stinger some type of extension rod to hold the lead rope out away from the trailer. The very first products were a solid bar or pipe. But this doesn't flex and transfers too much of the horses movements into the trailer frame. Especially if you are trying to sleep in the trailer. Next generation models included some form of Spring to dampen the movements and to put subtle pressure on the horse to ask for a give to pressure when the horse reaches the end of the lead. Some of these features could be had by using a bungie to attach the horses halter to the rod. Remember what ever spring or bungie you choose needs to be strong enough to support the weight a horse will apply.  I personaly like something strong enough so that when I tie the horse's head 6-8" off the  ground, the horse can flex the system enough to get his nose to the ground to pick up feed, But strong enough to prevent him from keeping his head in that position for very long.

I know that buying 3-4 HiTies at $300 a pop can incur a sizeable expense. I suspect by time you buy parts on a onesy-twosy basis, buy 2-3 versions of springs or rods of different strength to make sure your parts are strong enough and have the proper flex for the job, and spend your time to put it all together, you will be better off to just write the check and buy the product.  But this is America and people are known to be inventive and innovative. I wish you well with your project and let us know if you develop a much cheaper method.

As far as using the HiTie products. I've had them on the last two trailers I've owned and when I get a litte extra money, I'll install them on my current trailer. If you camp with horses and camp in areas where you have to tie to the trailer, and try to sleep in your trailer, they are a must.

Places like the desert have no place to tie a horse

Edited by Painted Horse 2009-01-21 9:19 PM
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-01-21 11:35 PM (#97967 - in reply to #97919)

Elite Veteran

There is also a tieRite system for sale through long riders gear. It runs $299.00. I have been thinking of this one..I like the ease with which it folds down or sets up.  I know one of the models out there (I forget which) has the option of purchasing another mounting bracket to install on the other side of your trailer so that you may utilize one or the other side depending on the situation.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-01-22 6:45 AM (#97974 - in reply to #97919)

Elite Veteran

It seems like the horse when lying down might get his legs under the trailer. Am I wrong in thinking this?
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-01-22 7:16 AM (#97976 - in reply to #97919)

Elite Veteran

I have the TieRite system purchased from Country Supply for around $150.  It's all aluminum and folds down nicely on the trailer.  Guess I got lucky when I bought it a year ago as I see the price has really gone up.

Edited by Dunoir 2009-01-22 7:20 AM
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-01-22 7:37 AM (#97977 - in reply to #97919)

Elite Veteran

country supply does not handle this product anymore.  I called them about a month or so ago.. There was still a link to country supply on the hiTie website, but I couldn't find the product when following the link to Country Supply's website..  I wish I'd gone on and broken down and bought it last year.. Just like that Coleman road grill that used to be on country supply's website.. I watched it forever, but never brought myself to fork out the cash for it and now it's gone off the website too.
Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-01-22 8:07 AM (#97980 - in reply to #97974)

Veteran

Originally written by Gone on 2009-01-22 6:45 AM

It seems like the horse when lying down might get his legs under the trailer. Am I wrong in thinking this?

I've wondered this same thing. Anybody who's used one, let us know your thoughts and experiences about this. Thanks!
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-01-22 9:56 AM (#97983 - in reply to #97919)

Elite Veteran

I love...LOVE my Hi-Tie ! Use it all the time for Huginn. Wish I had the $$ for a second one, so I could use that one for Dixie my mini.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-01-22 9:59 AM (#97984 - in reply to #97974)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Gone on 2009-01-22 6:45 AM

Well...I guess that may be a risk. Having said that I have never had that problem with Huginn on the Hi-Tie or Dixie ..tied to the trailer.

With horses...just plain life ... is a risk. HA!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-01-22 10:11 PM (#98022 - in reply to #97919)

Expert

from the look of the ties the dose not lay down the cord is long so they could eat head down that is it from what i see it set up
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-01-22 10:59 PM (#98026 - in reply to #98022)

Elite Veteran

Huginn lies down to sleep every nite while camping and on the HiTie.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-01-22 11:36 PM (#98027 - in reply to #97919)

Expert

My horse lay down at night after a CTR or Endurance ride.  They couldn't do that when tied to a tie ring on the side of the trailer.  I've even had them roll while in the hitie. I've never had a problem with them becoming cast or caught under the trailer. The 4' offset  that the fiberglass rod provides seems to get the horses out and away from the trailer far enough to avoid most poblems. Never have the horses pawing the running board or trailer side when I use the HiTie

I don't use the bungies that HiTie includes. I tie the lead rope directly to the rod ( like in the picture) One night I tied it just a bit too long. My horse tried to scratch his chin with his hind hoof.  He got a hind leg over the lead rope and we had a circus for a minute. I've been much more care full about the lead length ever since. Long enough that they can STRETCH to get their nose to the ground to pick up hay, But with enough tension that they won't hold it there for long.

If they lay down while tied they don't put their head flat on the ground. But rather sleep on their belly with their head upright. Like this photo of my horses on a Highline. In fact the elad rope is a bit long on the black horse. When laying down they should have their head up more like the grey, Then they won't accidently get a leg over the rope when they go to stand up. In this picture the Highline had stretch a little and the sag  lowered the lead rope. If they had been on a HiTie, there would be no sag.

rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-01-23 12:30 PM (#98051 - in reply to #97919)

Regular

We also LOVE(hanging straight down) above the ground, horses stretch the rod and able to lay down and eat with no problems yet, best part is all the movement they get in 360 degrees, quite a trampled area after a couple days compared to tying to trailer. we just throw hay on ground and they also get quite comfortable by laying down at nite. Couple times camping out West they were more relaxed tied to HIties than pens which were avaliable for them.

I would reccommend them, not cheap, but you will get what you pay for in this type of system. also very easy to set up when we get horses out on long trips!!!!!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-24 2:01 PM (#98127 - in reply to #97960)

Expert

Painted Horse.  I was wondering if those start to sag or bow as they get used.

Edited by Terri 2009-01-24 2:02 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-01-24 3:21 PM (#98133 - in reply to #98127)

Expert

No sag or droop.  At least not in the 5 years I've had them.

Being made of Fiberglass and always exposed to the elements on the outside of the trailer, The finish on the rods wears off and then you can get some fiberglass slivers in your hands on older rods when you handle them.  I suspect you could coat them with some kind of tung oil or varnish to seal the fiberglass fibers in. But I just put some gloves on when I handle mine and don't worry about it. The only time you ever touch them is when you swing them out into position or fold them up when you are done.

When I installed mine I placed a bumper on the trailer side that the end of where the rod rested against when not in use. In order to close my rods into the travel position, I have to force a little flex into my rods against the bumper before I put the pin in.  This keps some pressure against the bumper during travel and they don't rattle or scratch up the side of the trailer when bouncing down a washboard forest service road. Even holding them in this slightly flexed position, I have not noticed after years of use that they have warped

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-24 3:40 PM (#98135 - in reply to #98133)

Expert

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2009-01-24 4:21 PM

Being made of Fiberglass and always exposed to the elements on the outside of the trailer, The finish on the rods wears off and then you can get some fiberglass slivers in your hands on older rods when you handle them.  I suspect you could coat them with some kind of tung oil or varnish to seal the fiberglass fibers in.

I would not recommend applying oil or varnish to the fiberglass rods. I'm not certain, but they may have been constructed with either epoxy or vinylester resins. With age, both are subject to UV, as well as mechanical damage. The best repair is a new applied coating of the same resin. The specific type can be probably learned from the manufacturer, and purchased from several fiberglass sources. The repair would not be difficult to effect.

Gard

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-01-24 8:10 PM (#98154 - in reply to #97919)

Expert

I would agree with that, I just don't know what resins they used. And I suspect that HiTie buys the rods already manufactured, So they probably don't know what resins the fiberglass maker used. So it will be a little hard to trace back.  It's not something that is a big deal, but if you slide your hand down the rod when they are 4-5 years old, you will get a few slivers. Gloves wrk just fine.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-24 8:36 PM (#98161 - in reply to #97919)

Expert

Can you just sand the area smooth with some 180 -220 grit? Even an application of a tinted "boat yard resin" (polyester) would seal the area and replace the eroded surface. It's inexpensive and available in quart cans at many places. You can buy small tubes of various primary colours that can be added to the mixture, which will increase the durability from UV damage.

Fiberglass splinters are the worse. You can't see them, they burn and they stick inside.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)