'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buyer Beware

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-09-03 12:35 PM
12 replies, 14943 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2012-05-08 12:30 PM (#143813)
Subject: Buyer Beware

Horse trailers that have been completely totalled out by a insurance company can legally be sold to a salvager with an unblemished title!  Salvage titles are only mandatory for autos and motorhomes. A good friend of mine split two cars on an interstate that where sitting still for no good reason. She topped the hill, couldn't stop, split them, the front wheels were ripped off both sides of her dually and both the truck & the trailer continued over & between them. All vehicles involved suffered  terrible frame damage. So much ,that the top trailer frame shop in OKC deemed this big LQ trailer  irrepairable. So much that it leaked like a seive in the rain thru the overhead light & speaker fixtures. She couldn't keep tires on it, either.

So....it is now available , on the internet, to the unsuspecting future owner. And, guess what,  it is NOT priced accordingly ,so, most folks would never even guess that is had been totalled out! Maybe if the unlucky purchaser has State Farm insurance, they will call the VIN in BEFORE they purchase. Because, SF won't be insuring it!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2012-05-08 10:45 PM (#143823 - in reply to #143813)
Subject: RE: Buyer Beware

Expert

wow that is realy not right, there is no law to help? do they list it as new, used ,damage?
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2012-05-08 11:47 PM (#143824 - in reply to #143823)

Expert

I am with duffy,that just looks illegal,to me.HOw can they get by with something like that,it's akin to fraud IMO.
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2012-05-09 6:05 AM (#143825 - in reply to #143813)

Veteran

Please let us know what trailer it is so someone won't get stuck with it.
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2012-05-09 6:43 AM (#143826 - in reply to #143813)

Elite Veteran

What state was this in? Is this in all states?
brendaclemens
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2012-05-09 7:30 AM (#143827 - in reply to #143813)

Regular

TRUE! My trailer was totaled by fire. Two well respected manufacturers told me that the integrity of the aluminum was compromised beyond repair & not safe for equine transport. I saw my old trailer on HTW all fixed up and for sale. I wouldn't haul a horse in it...scary. I was told by the insurance company that it would be scrapped for the metal when I expressed my concerns.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2012-05-09 8:14 AM (#143828 - in reply to #143813)

The trailer was titled in AR prior to the wreck. It was totaled by the insurance company in AR it was sold to the salvage company COPART . They sold it thru their AR distributor. I'm not positive about anything after that. What I do know, is it is online for sale in a neighboring state. That I also verified. I have seen the ad. It is being offered by a private party. Hopefully, the people that have it will be forthcoming on it's history. Even if they weren't given the info at the time of purchase, they are privy to it now!  the person that wrecked it called them and disclosed everything! She is appalled that thsi thing was not scraped! They have not had it long. The insurance company only acquired it in Feb of this year.  For some folks, it's history & problems,  may not bother them. For some, it will.

To me, there is a huge difference in willingly purchasing a salvaged unit and finding out after the fact that you babies would be spending time going down the road in something like this. If they didn't totally dismantled it down to the VIN and put it back together with new parts, how could it be ever be right again? I really doubt if a  trailer of this size, is just going 5 miles to the local 4-H shows 3 times a year.

I , for one, think that if a horse trailer is totalled out, then the title needs to reflect that. Even if, it  is rebuilt. Then the title should be marked as a rebuilt, so, the purchaser  could make an educated decision. I think we should encourage the horse trailer manufacturers and dealers to address this issue.

I asked our attorney about  how to handle this message. I was instructed that what info could be given without legal recourse.  Since,  it was willingly purchased thru a salvager releases me from giving the facts.  BUT, since people are made aware that this trailer is in the for sale category by private party, then they hopefully will research VIN #'s on ANY trailer they are thinking of purchasing from the internet. Most dealers are savy enough to recognize a trailer that has been traveling down the road with a twisted frame.

I am NOT trying to talk anyone out of buying anything they want. I merely trying to bring awareness to the practice of trailers that have been totalled by an insurance company, then can legally be sold without a salvage title, unlike an auto, bus, or motorhome. I think this needs to change! I think the VIN should reflect it.

beenaround
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2012-05-09 8:44 AM (#143829 - in reply to #143813)

So, where is it and how has it for sale????
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2012-05-09 4:58 PM (#143842 - in reply to #143813)

Veteran

Went to Copart website and looked at the trailers they have for sale all over the country. Anything that has damage is advertised with a "salvaged title", whatever state it is in. They either missed the trailer you're talking about. there's another one like it being advertised for sale, or there really is a salvaged title on it and the next buyers will find out. I thought Trailer Manufacturers pulled the vin on un salvageable trailers??
Paints
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2012-05-09 5:47 PM (#143843 - in reply to #143813)

Veteran

Hey  so true a DEALER In MN listed trailer on this site That was totaled out from previous owner By her insurance company and must bought it at auction or Who knows.It was sold on this site to person & they had NO IDEA.... until I sent pm to buyer.Yes Yes buyers be AWARE.We looked at trailers priced in upper 40s that had hayracks and generators ripped off top of hayrack done by stupid drivers.Know why not replaced hayrack and generator OH because all wiring is JUNK and sadly probaly Huge fire hazard too.Fuel lines maybe frame or roof damage completely.Trailer is in MO at dealership and holes aren't even filled in with chalk  : (       

Cindy Trailer Depot
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2012-05-10 10:55 AM (#143853 - in reply to #143813)

Regular

I look at the Copart site regularly to keep track of the salvage trailers that might reappear so we can stay away from them. These are waiting for the next victim...a Bison in Wichita last 4 of the VIN: 9879, selling with a clean title...major damage...lol, and a C&C in Ft. Worth, VIN #3723, selling with a salvage title with frame damage named. The only way to keep track is by VIN.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2012-05-10 11:43 AM (#143854 - in reply to #143853)

Expert

That is good information,Cindy,thanks for posting it.
horsin213
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2012-09-03 12:35 PM (#146792 - in reply to #143813)

A little late, but I just read this. How do you find out if it has been damaged/ totaled? Im guessing there's no Carfax for trailers! I'd hate to find myself in that situation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)