'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll How to mount hay rack on roof of trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-08-20 12:07 PM
5 replies, 12246 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ksstang
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2013-07-23 7:35 AM (#153489)
Subject: How to mount hay rack on roof of trailer?

Hello everyone.  I recently purchased a used "homemade" hay rack for the roof of my 1997 Titan Renegade II trailer.  After pricing new ones at over a grand I decided to either build or find a used one.  I have found and purchased a 4'x7' wide rack that has been made out of 3/4"x3/4" square tubing.  The legs on it are channel iron.  The previous person had the legs long enough so they would go down over the sides of their trailer and bolt into the sides.  Well, my trailer is alittle wider than what those measure, plus with where my windows are there is no way it would mount.

So..... trying to decide how I want to mount this.  I'm curious if I were to cut the legs off shorter, weld a piece of angle iron to each leg, then bolt it to the roof, through one of the 1"x1" square tubing supports going from side to side of the trailer would that be enough to support it.  This rack is built to hold 4 square bales and no more.  Just kinda stumped as to what I wanna do and looking for some input.  If any of you have racks on your trailer and wouldnt mind posting pictures how they are secured that would be great!

Thanks,

Kyle

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-07-23 9:31 AM (#153491 - in reply to #153489)
Subject: RE: How to mount hay rack on roof of trailer?

Expert

Most roof structures are not strong enough to support a roof rack. The racks are usually attached to the tops of the trailer walls. Various brackets can be fabricated that are attached to the walls, that in turn support vertical members that align with the outer edges of the hay rack. Our Exiss's rack has supports that penetrate the actual roof structure and are welded to the wall's top plate. There is no weight on the roof structure, its bows or the skin.

The attaching structure has to be quite sturdy. Not only does it have to support the weight of its contents. but it has to be sound enough to endure opposing wind velocities that can equal hurricanes. If you're going 70 MPH and pass an opposing truck going the same speed, the hay bales are hit with a 140 MPH jolt of wind. If not properly secured, a structural failure would quickly result in a dangerous situation for anyone following the rig.

Edited by gard 2013-07-23 9:33 AM
ksstang
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2013-07-23 10:00 AM (#153493 - in reply to #153489)

Ok, sounds good.  Thats kinda what I was thinking.  I will have to do some looking/measuring to see what I can build to make it work.
Saddleup
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2013-07-23 10:51 AM (#153495 - in reply to #153489)

Regular

Had a similar problem once,, used 2 inch sq aluminum  running front to back on each side of hay rack in the INSIDE of trailer. That way weight was supported both ways on four  roof  truss on each side of trailer. Roof rack also had a 4500 watt gen set on it=350 lbs never had any problems with it. Use galvanized bolts. nuts and washers to prevent rust. I bolted mine  thru each truss, so weight was distributed evenly on all truss. Also used rubber belting between top of roof and rack. Bolting direct to aluminum can often fatigue it and it will crack you aluminum roof skin.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-07-23 11:19 AM (#153496 - in reply to #153495)

Expert

Had a similar problem once,, used 2 inch sq aluminum  running front to back on each side of hay rack in the INSIDE of trailer. Use galvanized bolts. nuts and washers to prevent rust. I bolted mine  thru each truss, so weight was distributed evenly on all truss. 

Not at all a good idea. Aluminum has a low corrosion resistance to steel. When it comes into contact with steel, a galvanic reaction takes place, which results in the destruction of the aluminum. Using stainless hardware and a barrier coating will lessen the chance of any unwanted reactions.

Do not use any galvanised steel hardware when fastening aluminum structures.

bakermatta
Reg. Aug 2014
Posted 2014-08-20 12:07 PM (#160481 - in reply to #153489)

New User

I was thinking of making one out of electrical conduit and utilizing straps for support and steel just for brackets. Good or bad idea?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)