'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
WFCO Power Converter Trouble Shooting

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-02-25 6:23 PM
3 replies, 4686 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barrelracingchick16
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2014-02-25 11:43 AM (#157667)
Subject: WFCO Power Converter Trouble Shooting

Some of you may remember my battery post from last week---the lights in my trailer will not work solely off of battery power and they indeed should (there is a trickle charger within the power converter). They work fine when plugged into power outlet at house or when plugged into truck.

So, we pulled the battery and had it tested. It was extremely dead, they had to charge it for a good while before even being able to test it. Ended up tested good.

So now I figure I am on to troubleshooting the power converter and/or trickle charger.

This is the model power converter that is in the trailer: http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/UI/Power-Centers-WFCO-WF-8740P.aspx?...

The fuse directly above/next to the "battery protection fuses"-- (has a number 15 on it)--- above that fuse there is a red light lit over. I am sure this is relevant but I am not quite sure what it means. None of the fuses seem to be blown.

Any advice on what to do next/how to troubleshoot or what likely the issue is? Thanks!

Oh, also.... I called the previous owner and there is no switch in the trailer that changes it over to battery power--it is supposed to automatically when you unplug from an outlet.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2014-02-25 1:54 PM (#157671 - in reply to #157667)
Subject: RE: WFCO Power Converter Trouble Shooting

Veteran

The red light indicates the fuse is blown. Replace with a 15 amp fuse and the light should go out. A blown fuses typically means there is a short in the circuit (power to ground fault). If the new fuse blows you will need to find the short. Make sure the charge circuit wire is connected to the positive side of the battery. This circuit is normally a 12 gauge wire. The output of the charge circuit is going to be 13V. Good luck! Jg
justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2014-02-25 2:02 PM (#157673 - in reply to #157667)

Veteran

There is a reverse polarity fuse to protect the converter. It will blow if the battery connections are hooked up incorrect.
barrelracingchick16
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2014-02-25 6:23 PM (#157685 - in reply to #157667)

Thanks! Replaced the fuse and that did the trick. I just bought the trailer not too long ago--and the battery has been hooked up correctly since I bought it so I am not sure when it was hooked up backwards.. But problem seems to be solved. Appreciate the help!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)