'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Best layout for a stock combo?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-10-14 11:15 PM
2 replies, 4187 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-09-30 10:10 PM (#160986)
Subject: Best layout for a stock combo?

Veteran

We have a 3H gooseneck trailer with a tack room and a 20 ft Wilson stock trailer. Our stock trailer only gets used 6 to 8 times a year (usually 4 trips hauling grass cattle, a trip or so hauling square bales and a dump run). We are thinking of selling the 2 trailers and purchasing a new 24 ft stock combo.I want to solicite feedback for the best layout for a stock combo.Slant wall or straight wall?If straight wall, 4 ft, 5 ft or 6 ft tack room?Our trailer will be used mostly for hauling horses - but will still have about 4 loads of grass cattle per year - what would be the best for divider system?I was thinking flat floor - adding mats for hauling horses and pulling the mats when hauling cattle - any thoughts on the traction of flat checkerplate when hauling cattle (I am used to the ridged checkerplate we have on our Wilson ... I believe that the ridges may give better traction).I was also thinking a sliding rear door for cattle loading.Slam latch is a nice feature.Will need to have removable plexiglass windows.Thinking 7000 lb axles with 14 ply tires.A hydraulic jack is a nice to have.Any other features or better layout to suggest?Regards,ThreeCW
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
roxieannie
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2014-10-02 8:55 AM (#161016 - in reply to #160986)
Subject: RE: Best layout for a stock combo?

My vote would be strait load. You know how those cattle can be. Ranch horses down here are hauled without dividers, just tied all facing same way like slant load. As far as dressing area, figure out what you need in there, and how you want it set up. And if you plan on spending any nights sleeping in there. In my stock combo, 4' straight wall, with the saddles and other horse needs in there, plus personal stuff, it got crowded quick.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2014-10-14 11:15 PM (#161155 - in reply to #160986)
Subject: RE: Best layout for a stock combo?

Expert

I have a stock trailer with stall built in and a side ramp so unloading is easier, straight stalls and plexiglass for the windows rubber mates and rubber up the sides .The stall do come out when needed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)