'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck won't connect to trailer brakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-03-24 9:17 PM
4 replies, 3135 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

greyghost
Reg. Jan 2013
Posted 2015-03-24 11:42 AM (#162974)
Subject: Truck won't connect to trailer brakes

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Cummings 4WD that works intermittently with the braking system of every trailer I hook it up to. My trailer brake inside the truck says it's connected "reads C" but I never know if I have brakes until I hit the brakes - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't (more often don't). This occurs with my GN, which I plug into the bed of the truck - and my BP, which I plug into the back of the truck. Also occurs with any trailer I have hooked up to run tests.Both my trailers have been tested. Brakes are fine. The Dodge has been to the dealership several times.Background: This started almost a year ago - my electrical went dead during a camping trip. I lost blinkers, brake lights, even my navigator and the ability to recharge my cell phone. Dealership found nothing wrong. These issues continued off and on for months - dealership retesting and finding nothing. They finally had a recall on the blinker system and changed the wiring and the blinkers now work consistently. All electrical now seems fine but the brakes still do not work. Of course, dealership finds no issues.Have cleaned plugs with WD40. Changed all 7 pin plugs and no change.Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2015-03-24 12:16 PM (#162975 - in reply to #162974)
Subject: RE: Truck won't connect to trailer brakes

Extreme Veteran

Just a guess, but make sure the ground wire is grounded to the vehicle. Loose or corroded connection would give the symptoms you describe.
greyghost
Reg. Jan 2013
Posted 2015-03-24 2:17 PM (#162976 - in reply to #162974)

Thanks. Under there checking it. :)
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2015-03-24 5:50 PM (#162977 - in reply to #162974)

Expert

Originally written by greyghost on 2015-03-24 11:42 AM

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Cummings 4WD that works intermittently with the braking system of every trailer I hook it up to. My trailer brake inside the truck says it's connected "reads C" but I never know if I have brakes until I hit the brakes - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't (more often don't). This occurs with my GN, which I plug into the bed of the truck - and my BP, which I plug into the back of the truck. Also occurs with any trailer I have hooked up to run tests.Both my trailers have been tested. Brakes are fine. The Dodge has been to the dealership several times.Background: This started almost a year ago - my electrical went dead during a camping trip. I lost blinkers, brake lights, even my navigator and the ability to recharge my cell phone. Dealership found nothing wrong. These issues continued off and on for months - dealership retesting and finding nothing. They finally had a recall on the blinker system and changed the wiring and the blinkers now work consistently. All electrical now seems fine but the brakes still do not work. Of course, dealership finds no issues.Have cleaned plugs with WD40. Changed all 7 pin plugs and no change.Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
DO NOT USE WD-40 on electrical contacts...it is a NON-CONDUCTOR and sticky, attracts crud... ...you want to use a dielectric grease on your plug's connections
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2015-03-24 9:17 PM (#162978 - in reply to #162974)

Expert

Make sure the Y is connected at both ends some time they come loose
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'