'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Maybe this will be of assistance

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-05-03 1:36 AM
3 replies, 4470 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-05-02 8:06 PM (#24597)
Subject: Maybe this will be of assistance

Extreme Veteran

Since there have been quite a few posts on truck weight and what per truck can haul, I will give an example. I had our truck and trailer weighed on a Flying J scale this weekend. We were going camping so we were loaded (2 horses, full water tank, tack, clothes, camping gear, dog, full fuel tanks, wood, feed, hay, the works). Now our trailer is a 26ft. Hart 3 horse all aluminum with a 4ft SW and has partially finished living quarters in it, with 1 deep cycle battery for our 12v power, but minus our fridge, microwave and hot water heater which will come later. Our truck is a 1997 F250 extended cab with a Powerstroke which has a GVWR of 8800lbs. The scales read as follows:

Front: 3,900lbs.
Rear: 4,260lbs.
Trailer axle: 6,520lbs.
Total: 14,680lbs.

Take the front and rear weights and you have your GVWR which is 8,160lbs which is 640lbs away from being technically overloaded. So when my LQ's are finished, I'll probablly be fairly close.

Anyway, I just wanted to use this as an example for those who have a 3/4 ton truck and are thinking about buying that 4 horse with the 8ft SW LQ's. Can the truck handle it, more than likely. Will you be over loaded, definately.

Like I said, I just used this as an example.

Safe Riding,
Todd

Edited by maccwall 2005-05-16 12:18 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
FTguy
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2005-05-02 8:40 PM (#24600 - in reply to #24597)
Subject: RE: Maybe this will be of assistance

Ok, here is a really stupid question since I have never done it. To get all of these weights, do you just pull the whole rig onto the scale or do you need to pull up onto them one axle at a time? Do the scale have a read out or do you need to go inside to get the numbers?

Just never done it, but probably need to. That way I don't have to worry about it.

FTguy
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-05-02 10:08 PM (#24611 - in reply to #24600)

Expert

The scales I use are at a local ranch store.  You go in and tell them you want to weigh, and they have someone write down the weights as you go over the scale.  When I weigh I pull the front tires on the scale, then the guy lets me know when to move and I pull the truck up until the rear tires are on the scale.  Then the trailer for the combined weight.  You just subtract the front axle from the whole truck weight to get your rear axle weight.

rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2005-05-03 1:36 AM (#24616 - in reply to #24597)

Extreme Veteran

If you stop at any truck stop along interstate with Cat Scales, you just drive up on them (there are instructions posted) each axle will be on an individual scale if you stop where you are supposed to. Push the button (this is the hard part if you are short) and tell the attendent you have a personnel vehicle. Make sure everybody and everything is loaded up at the time to get an accurate reading of your total load. After you weigh pull around and go inside and pay. they will give you a certified print out with the numbers for each axle.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)