'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck tires making trailer fishtail?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-26 5:23 PM
10 replies, 7896 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-02 8:44 PM (#85092)
Subject: Truck tires making trailer fishtail?

Veteran

I bought new tires for the Ford 250 and now both the LQ and flatbed trailers slightly fishtail at times when I pull them.  The tires are Goodyear Wrangler AT/D2.  I am assuming that the tires are the reason because I never had this happen before.  It's slight, but scary and I'm not the only one who has noticed it.  It seems to happen mostly when turning a corner, more at higher speeds and also when changing lanes.  It just sort of feels slippery or something.  Not a major, black ice sort of fishtail, but enough to make me want to fix it!  Any suggestions? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2008-06-02 8:56 PM (#85094 - in reply to #85092)
Subject: RE: Truck tires making trailer fishtail?

Expert

make sure that the wheels nuts are on tight. I saw this happen to a car once wheel went flying off
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-02 9:33 PM (#85097 - in reply to #85092)

Veteran

Maybe I should add that I have these new tires only on the back of the truck.  Don't know if that would make a difference or not.  Thanks again.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-06-02 9:37 PM (#85098 - in reply to #85092)

Expert

If you weren't pulling a LQ trailer, I would say that the trailer has too much weight on the back. However with the only change being the tires and having no previous bad experiences, I too, would assume the tires are to blame.

I would jack the truck's rear axle and while slowly spinning each tire, check the run out of each. You may have a tire with an off set belt, that while it looks good statically, may in fact wobble (side to side) when it is rolling under a load. I've had a similar handling experience, when I broke a belt in the sidewall of a radial tire.

You might also check your rear shocks. Even if only one is worn or damaged, it will give you the handling problems you describe, when the load shifts from one side to the other while turning. A new tire will react faster to suspension changes than your old ones did, and you can notice a difference in handling.

You probably already have checked the air pressures, but don't take it for granted that the tire store aired the proper tire inflations for your circumstances.

If everything checks out, about the only other consideration is the difference in tires between the front and rear axles. On some vehicles, a different brand, or even a different model of the same brand tire, will adversly affect a vehicle's handling. You may have to replace the front tires with the same type as were placed on the rear.

BOL Gard

Edited by gard 2008-06-02 9:44 PM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-06-03 3:38 AM (#85108 - in reply to #85092)

Expert

Goodyear Wrangler AT/D2

Sold only at ....Sam's Club and Tirerack.com?  Load range "C"?  Are they Passenger or Light Truck? It comes in one size.

That 250 truck should have load range "E" tires on it. If you put "C"'s on the rear, then it's going to sway!

Is this your tire??

Size
Service Description
Load Rating
UTQGMax
Load
Max.
Inflation
Press.
Tread
Depth
Tire
Weight
Rim
Width
Range
Meas.
Rim
Width
Sect.
Width
Tread
Width
Overall
Diam.
Revs
Per
Mile
265/75R16
 C

2470 lbs.
50 psi
14/32"
43 lbs.7-8"
7.5"
10.5"
7.8"
31.4"

Edited by retento 2008-06-03 7:57 AM
fireflyer743
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-03 7:50 AM (#85112 - in reply to #85092)

New User

Great thoughts guys. No, the tires are an "E" rated Goodyear Wrangler LT's. I did a runout view and they are not exactly true but don't know what is allowable as it appears minor. I will swap to the front and check the difference in ride. Probably a good idea to change the shocks too, as I did put new ones on the front recently.
Thanks for your help!
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-04 3:17 PM (#85207 - in reply to #85092)

Veteran

Now that the tires are in front, the problem has gone away.  I WOULD NOT recommend these tires for a truck that is going to be used to pull any kind of trailer!!  Now, what to do. . . I won't be able to rotate the tires with those in front.  I hope Sam's will take them back.  Any suggestions on tire to replace them?  The others are Firestone Steeltex Radial R4S.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-06-04 3:41 PM (#85208 - in reply to #85092)

Expert

Are they Wrangler LT's or Wrangler AT/D2's? Are you and fireflyer743 talking about the same truck/tire?

(quote) The others are Firestone Steeltex Radial R4S.

Is this what's on the back now? Are they load range E? Are the new Goodyear Wranglers, load range E?..... If not make them take them back and put a set of load range E's on there to match the Firestones. Look inside your door panel and read what was installed on the truck when it was now. Then take the truck to your "SAM's CLUB" and show the %^$#%&^ a$$'s what the should have put on the truck..... If they're not 10 ply, load range E!!!

Is this your new tire... Wrangler AT/S 

Superview available of this tire

Other Sidewall Style Options
Blackwall
Raised Black Letters

Most approx. photo shown above. Explain

OR, is it this one... Wrangler TD

<link media=all href="/tirerack.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet>
Wrangler TD

I like ..... MICHELIN, MICHELIN, MICHELIN, etc<link media=all href="/tirerack.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet>

Edited by retento 2008-06-04 3:48 PM
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-06-04 4:30 PM (#85212 - in reply to #85092)

Veteran

Yes, Fireflyer did my tires - I didn't know that he had a "handle" on this page - surprised me!  But, same tires, same truck.  I'll go double check the exact tire, but he seems to think they are the E rated tires.  Whatever they are, I don't like them!  Now to find the receipt. . .

XCEquis
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2009-07-26 12:50 AM (#108553 - in reply to #85092)

New User

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the EXACT same issue with a Ford F350 Dually.  We got new tires on the back, and all the sudden, our trailer just felt slippery, just like you said, on curves, changing lanes, etc.  It run's OK, but not really that great.  I work for a major company, and I am just having them replace the tires.  We tried getting new ones in the front to match, but the problem kept happening.  We got a new hitch ball, and hit weight in the front of the thing.  Nothing has helped.  Monday I am getting the top of the line treaded tire with the most grip possible, and making sure the toe in alignment is set properly.  Any other thoughts or advice? You can email me at kevindurkin251@yahoo.com   Thanks!!
dmtolman
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-07-26 5:23 PM (#108568 - in reply to #108553)

First, check your air pressure. If they put the new tires on at a low pressure it would cause this. Also the tires you got, are they off-road traction tires? Some traction tires (especially when new) have such high tread blocks that you can experience tread squib while going down the road. This feeling would be compounded by changing from highway or all season tires to a more aggressive tread pattern as well as the fact that you were used to your old tires being worn down and not having such tall tread blocks that can move slightly when cornering. Differences between tires can vary alot when you get used to the performance of a particular set and then get new ones, hope this helps.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)