'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Mechanics out there - fuel pump ??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-03 5:17 PM
4 replies, 3259 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Fun2Run
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-08-01 5:28 PM (#88787)
Subject: Mechanics out there - fuel pump ??

We took my Kawasaki Mule in for a new starter and tune up, etc. because it is 10 years old. So after two months of it being at the shop, and me calling, and them never calling back, and terrible service - they say it's ready and we go to pick it up. This is not a dealer, but a motorcycle dealer/repair shop.

So we go to pick up the Mule and the mechanic runs out with a gas can to start it up. WTH?  They must've run it outta gas.  So it won't start.  Owner comes out and asks what's wrong with it, and then he asks mechanic "didn't you drive this thing all weekend?"  Seems there was a motorcycle rally the previous weekend.  Hmm.  So the fuel pump is now out.

Owner & I get in an argument over the phone (and he emphatically says it was NOT driven at all, after we heard him say it had) and he finally says he will fix it at cost.  Now time to pick it up, he says he didn't say that and is charging $218.00. 

My question, after this book:  Can running it outta fuel cause the fuel pump to die?  I'm just getting ready to take this SOB to small claims court.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-08-02 1:14 PM (#88840 - in reply to #88787)
Subject: RE: Mechanics out there - fuel pump ??

Veteran

Not a mechanic but on cars (trucks) you sure can. When out of fuel the "in tank" fuel pump overheats and burns up. Don't ask me how I know.
Fun2Run
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2008-08-02 4:29 PM (#88846 - in reply to #88787)

Thanks for the reply.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2008-08-02 8:05 PM (#88855 - in reply to #88787)

Expert

When your fuel pump in in the fuel tank..........The primary cause of fuel pump failure in a vehicle, with clean fuel, is consistantly having it run while very low on fuel.  The pump depends on the fuel to cover and cool it.  Know nothing of the Kawasaki mule.
perfect11s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-08-03 5:17 PM (#88915 - in reply to #88787)

Regular

Would guess it has either  a electric diapham pump or a vaccum operated pump, (simple system low tec) running out should'nt cause problems like it could on a car with a high pressure injection systen ,but it could have sucked dirt in with a low gas level, does sound like the guy at the shop is  bad news I would try and get it out of there   and get a second opinion... 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)