'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Blown Fuse Question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-04-09 10:27 AM
9 replies, 7228 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barrelracingchick16
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2014-04-07 7:48 PM (#158526)
Subject: Blown Fuse Question

Hi everyone,

I posted about a month ago for some help with Troubleshooting my power converter.  The original post is here: http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=19032

In short, when unplugged my battery was not powering what it should.  Found out there was a blown fuse on the power converter, replaced the blown fuse and all was working great!  Well, this past weekend when at a show my lights and everything were not working off of my battery (they had been working great the past month or so since I replaced that fuse).  Got home and sure enough, that same fuse was blown again!  Replaced it, and everything went back to working normally.

From what you all told me on here and from my researching, the only way that fuse should blow is if the battery is hooked up incorrectly?  However, the battery has not been messed with at all, still hooked up correctly.  What else could blow that fuse? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-04-07 8:09 PM (#158527 - in reply to #158526)
Subject: RE: Blown Fuse Question

Extreme Veteran

start with the obvious....is it the correct size fuse? Read the owners manual (available online if you don't have it ) Add up the wattage of everything you have on at one time and see if you are overloading the circuit: divide watts by 12 to get amps. You can get the wattage of common 12v bulbs online as well. More info on equipment would help......model of converter, what 12v appliances/light/flood lights the battery is powering. Also, most rv's use a circuit breaker (automatic reset) rather than a fuse. If it is the fuse in the converter, you might have a short somewhere.
Post back with more info

barrelracingchick16
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2014-04-07 8:27 PM (#158528 - in reply to #158527)

Originally written by beeoerdog on 2014-04-07 8:09 PM

start with the obvious....is it the correct size fuse? Read the owners manual (available online if you don't have it ) Add up the wattage of everything you have on at one time and see if you are overloading the circuit: divide watts by 12 to get amps. You can get the wattage of common 12v bulbs online as well. More info on equipment would help......model of converter, what 12v appliances/light/flood lights the battery is powering. Also, most rv's use a circuit breaker (automatic reset) rather than a fuse. If it is the fuse in the converter, you might have a short somewhere. Post back with more info

Thanks for your response!

A lot of the info you have asked is all on that post I copied the link to, that is why I did not include it.  Sorry about that!  It is a WFCO converter (model:WF-8740 40 Amp Power Center), and I have read the manual (I am not the most electrical-savvy so I had my Dad read it as well).  The fuse that keeps blowing (battery protection fuse), from what I gather from the manual, can only be blown if a the battery is hooked up incorrectly.  I replaced it with the correct size fuses (15A), so I don't think that is it.. And also like I said it has been working just fine for the past month or so (hauled and used probably 5-6 times in that period).  It is a weekender, so as far as appliances all it has is a fridge, microwave, water pump (no water heater) and lights as well as outlets.  The only things that the battery actually powers when not hooked up to a plug in power source is the lights (inside the LQ and the lights in the horse area and outside of trailer) and water pump.

I guess it is possible that I overloaded the circuit?  But I've used it many times and have had lights on while running the water pump no problem.  Not sure what else would have sent it over the edge?

beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-04-07 8:52 PM (#158529 - in reply to #158526)

Extreme Veteran

Is it possible that the connection from the truck hookup is incorrect....that could give you wrong polarity and cause the fuse to blow. Your truck connector has a ground(12v-) as well as a 12v positive wire connecting to your trailer. If those connections are not proper, it could be the same as reverse wiring the battery.....a multimeter or test light can help figure that one out. also, etrailer.com has wiring diagrams for various plugs.. Is all of the wiring at the trailer plug and truck factory original or has someone worked on it? Try running all of the trailer lights etc. with and without the truck plugged in
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-04-07 9:39 PM (#158531 - in reply to #158526)

Extreme Veteran

I checked online re:8740and the owners manual doesn't say what size the blown fuse should be. I am guessing it should be a 40 amp but you should check with wfco to make sure 877.294.8997 or send them an email with a question about the fuse size technicalsupport@wfcoelectronics.com
Good luck and let us know
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-04-07 10:43 PM (#158532 - in reply to #158526)

Expert

A forty amp converter powers both DC and AC circuits. The DC circuits will usually have fuses for protection, the AC will have breakers. The capacities of each circuit will be dependent upon the wire gauge used. The B+ charging circuit is usually a 12 or 14 AWG wire, which would limit the fuse size to maximum of 15 or 20 amps. The converter's protective fuse isolates the converter from both reverse polarity and any shorts that would overload the unit.

If the wiring was installed with the polarity being incorrect, the unit would not have worked at all, instantly blowing the protection fuse as soon as power was applied. Because it has worked normally for a short time, I suspect you have an intermittent short in one of the circuits leading from the converter. The easiest way to determine if it is one of those circuits, is to pull the fuses or trip the breakers one at a time. The bad circuit can be identified, when the converter continues working normally, without the fuse being burnt.

It will then be a matter to determine what draws you have on that circuit. Most shorts occur at junctions, where wiring is combined, fixtures are installed or the wiring passes through an opening. It could be a bad switch, bulb base, or a wiring loom grounding on a bulkhead. Look for particular items that aren't working, or those that are intermittent. They would indicated the first circuit I would isolate for the trouble shooting.

justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2014-04-08 11:59 AM (#158543 - in reply to #158526)

Veteran

The 8740 is a 40amp panel which should have 2-30 amp fuses in the reverse polarity positions, they are wired in parallel. This circuit is dual purpose 1) reverse polarity and 2) current limiting.1) Being the issue is intermittent your batteries are wired correctly. 2) Being that is blows later tells me the circuit is seeing more than the fuse rating or is loose and getting hot. You stated it is a 15 amp fuse check the second and replace both with a pair of new 30 amp fuses. Being in parallel the smaller fuse will clear before the larger. You can squeeze the terminals a bit with a pair of needle nose pliers.Disconnect the batteries before squeezing the terminals.Best of luck! Jg
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2014-04-08 2:46 PM (#158554 - in reply to #158526)

Extreme Veteran

Are your connections at the battery tight? I had the neg terminal come loose, from vibration driving down the road. Cost me a couple of batteries.
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-04-08 3:18 PM (#158555 - in reply to #158526)

Extreme Veteran

Hi....confirmed by John...tech support at WFCO....two 30 as justgum posted earlier
MrSteve
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2014-04-09 10:27 AM (#158577 - in reply to #158526)

Veteran

Have you tried a new battery? It's very possible the battery has a loose cell and is shorting out into itself.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)